Heating stove blamed for house fire

Heating stove blamed for house fire
A heating stove is blamed for igniting a fire that destroyed a Rector man’s home.

RECTOR, AR (KAIT) - A heating stove is blamed for igniting a fire that destroyed a Rector man’s home.

Just after 5 p.m. Monday, a neighbor spotted heavy smoke coming from the home on Clay County Road 433.

Just after 5 p.m. Monday, a neighbor spotted heavy smoke coming from the home on Clay County Road 433.
Just after 5 p.m. Monday, a neighbor spotted heavy smoke coming from the home on Clay County Road 433. (Google)

Firefighters from Rector, Greenway, and Marmaduke responded with engines and tankers, according to a report from Assistant Fire Chief Steven Sigsby.

When the crews arrived, they found heavy smoke pouring from the house and could see fire through the front window.

Despite their best efforts, the home and its contents were a total loss.

Despite their best efforts, the home and its contents were a total loss.
Despite their best efforts, the home and its contents were a total loss. (Steven Sigsby)

The homeowner, Jan Roddy, told firefighters when he left the house around 1:30 p.m. that day the heating stove in the kitchen was on and operating properly.

“After the fire had been extinguished and personnel could make safe entry, it appears that the probable point of ignition was the area around the heating stove that was centrally located,” the report said.

Copyright 2018 KAIT. All rights reserved.