Watching Out for You - Texting Scam Hits Region 8 - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Yalanda Young Reports

Watching Out for You - Texting Scam Hits Region 8

June 12, 2009 --

"My bill was $210! I almost passed out!"

That was the reaction from Joy Vauble of Jonesboro as she opened last month's cell phone bill.

"I called the phone company and they said I was signed up to receive text messages and every time I was opening a message it would charge me $9.99. I knew I had been receiving random text messages that were just mixed up letters and numbers but I wasn't sure what they were."

Her cell phone provider traced it back to a message she received from someone on Facebook.

"It was a an I.Q. test. So I accepted it and took the test and then you get your score through a text message."

And that's where the scam starts.

"The phone company told me I opened myself up to receiving all of these messages just by putting my number on that quiz."

But she isn't alone as a victim. Dede Long, who works in the same office as Vauble, says she also taken by the scam.

"I switched from one cell phone company to another. So when I saw the monthly charge of $9.99, I thought it was part of my service. Because on my bill it's labeled a Premium Charge. But the second month, I knew I needed to call."

With the help of her cell phone provider, Long was able to narrow it down to a quiz she had received from a friend in her email.

"I took the quiz, I think it was a mind test. But I took it and you got your score through a text message. And as soon as you open that message, you've opened yourself up and agreed to this monthly charge of $9.99."

Both ladies were able to get the charges removed, but they want to warn cell phone users of this scam.

"I don't think there is a way to prevent this from happening. It's a scam, it's just a scam. I felt pretty stupid. I just thought, how do you open yourself up to those kinds of things?"

"Just be careful. Don't open up any test messages unless you know what it is. I mean just go ahead and delete it, don't open up anything. I felt like a dummy for opening all of those."

Funeral home faces suspension after cremation mix-up, officials say

Wednesday, December 13 2017 9:06 PM EST2017-12-14 02:06:36 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 9:33 PM EST2017-12-14 02:33:17 GMT

A funeral home in Batesville faces a temporary suspension after it reportedly cremated the wrong body.

Versona to close Christmas Eve, employees say

Wednesday, December 13 2017 7:30 PM EST2017-12-14 00:30:59 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 8:29 PM EST2017-12-14 01:29:45 GMT

A clothing store in the Mall at Turtle Creek that emphasizes Italian fashions for women will close its doors this holiday season, employees at the store said Wednesday.

Toys delivered to needy children in Craighead County

Wednesday, December 13 2017 6:48 PM EST2017-12-13 23:48:24 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 8:22 PM EST2017-12-14 01:22:50 GMT
    Craighead County Sheriff Marty Boyd collects toys to give to needy children in Craighead County. (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office Facebook)Craighead County Sheriff Marty Boyd collects toys to give to needy children in Craighead County. (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office Facebook)

It was delivery day as Craighead County deputies took toys to needy children throughout the county.