Fire destroys Greene County home - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Greene County, AR -- Lauren Payne Reports

Fire destroys Greene County home

By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback

Greene County, Arkansas (KAIT)  -- It's a devastating call Kay Little says she won't ever forget.

"My neighbor called me and said that my house was on fire.   That's all that I know," said Kay Little.

14 year old Sherie Fields is the young neighbor that called Kay Friday morning.

"I said Miss Kay I'm really sorry to tell you that your house is on fire and she, I think started crying, and I was crying my eyes out," said Fields.

Not only did Sherie call Kay, she also called 911 to report the fire.  She had to go down the road to make the call and says she could see smoke billowing from the house located off of Greene County road 721.

"I told them my address because I didn't know hers," said Fields.

4 trucks and nearly 15 firefighters battled the blaze that is believed to have started before 9 Friday morning.  Within minutes of receiving the 911 call, the South Greene County Fire Department arrived on the scene.

"We just got the call and got here as quick as we could and it was fully in flames.   We couldn't put it out.   It was a total loss," said South Greene County Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief, Jerry Agee.

South Greene County and Western Greene County Fire Departments responded to the fire.

Kay Little says she lived at the home by herself and was at work when she got the call and rushed home to see what was left.

"I could see smoke for a mile--that's all I could see," said Little.

"That's all I had left, that's all I had left.   Now it's just gone," said Little.

©2009 KAIT

all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Man killed in crash following police chase

Friday, December 15 2017 9:35 AM EST2017-12-15 14:35:16 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:40 AM EST2017-12-15 14:40:35 GMT
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)

A Wynne man was killed in a two-vehicle crash Thursday in Cross County.

A Wynne man was killed in a two-vehicle crash Thursday in Cross County.

Newport police investigates vehicle vandalism

Thursday, December 14 2017 11:02 PM EST2017-12-15 04:02:25 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:19 AM EST2017-12-15 14:19:38 GMT
    Newport police Lt. Allen Edwards spoke Thursday about vandalism of vehicles along Malcolm Avenue in Newport. (Source: KAIT)Newport police Lt. Allen Edwards spoke Thursday about vandalism of vehicles along Malcolm Avenue in Newport. (Source: KAIT)

Vehicles driving along Malcolm Avenue in Newport are in the line of fire as juveniles have been suspected of throwing rocks and causing damage. That is according to Newport police.

Malls in state of change, real estate developer says

Thursday, December 14 2017 9:20 PM EST2017-12-15 02:20:08 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:12 AM EST2017-12-15 14:12:29 GMT
    The Mall at Turtle Creek (Source: KAIT)The Mall at Turtle Creek (Source: KAIT)

The business of shopping is changing, a local commercial real estate official said, noting it is a trend that is being seen and felt around the country.