Aid Now Available for Storm Losses

December 20, 2002
Posted at: 9:30 p.m. CDT

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Victims in three counties of this week's storms can receive state assistance for uninsured losses.

Governor Mike Huckabee activated a plan Friday to use two state agencies to help homeowners in Desha, Faulkner and Poinsett counties with uninsured losses caused by tornadoes and thunderstorms that struck Wednesday.

Temporary Housing Assistance Grants, for victims whose primary residences were destroyed or are uninhabitable as a result of the storms, are available through the Department of Emergency Management. Recipients can get up to one month of assistance for renters and up to three months for homeowners.

Applications for temporary housing grants will be taken by the department Monday through Jan. 8, though calls will not be taken on weekends and on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

Potential applicants can phone 1-877-828-3362, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The Individual and Family Grant Program, administered by the Department of Human Services, assists disaster victims with serious needs or necessary expenses that were incurred as a result of the storms. Eligible categories concerning uninsured losses include:

  • assisting in repair or replacement of primary residence,
  • repair/replacement of personal property,
  • essential transportation,
  • funeral expenses,
  • medical expenses

Disaster victims may apply for the by making an appointment by telephone with their county's DHS office. Applications will be taken under the same time frame as the housing assistance program.