Arkansas track and field assistant out
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas assistant track and field coach Dick Booth will not return next season.
Coach Chris Bucknam said Thursday it was time "to move in a different direction" and that Booth would be leaving after 27 seasons as the Razorbacks' field events coach.
Bucknam recently completed his first season at Arkansas after long-time coach John McDonnell retired. Booth worked under McDonnell from 1978-84 and from 1988-2008.
UALR adds 6-7 forward
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas-Little Rock has added a 6-7 forward from Brazil to its men's basketball team.
UALR coach Steve Shields said Thursday that Marlon Louzeiro of San Luis, Brazil, will join the Trojans from Midland (Texas) College, where he played last season.
Louzeiro averaged 5.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game while shooting 48.2% from the floor as a sophomore at Midland.
Shields also said sophomore guard Curtis Jackson will transfer from UALR. Jackson played as a reserve in 25 games last season, averaging 2.1 points over 7.2 minutes per game while shooting 35.3% from 3-point range.
Louzeiro will be among seven new players on the Trojans' roster for the 2009-2010 season.
UALR finished 23-8 last season.
Artificial turf for LR Central's stadium
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Little Rock Central's Quigley Stadium is getting artificial turf.
Verizon Wireless made a $250,000 donation to the project, which is expected to be finished in time for Central's home opener with Van Buren on Sept. 25.
Work on the new field began Tuesday.
The total cost is expected to run up to $450,000. Verizon gets naming rights for its contribution. The stadium will now be known as Quigley-Cox Stadium at Verizon Wireless Field.
The field had been named for Coach Bernie Cox, who has led the Tigers since 1975.
Information from: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, http://www.arkansasonline.com
AP Sources: Showtime close to boxing tourney deal
NEW YORK (AP) - Showtime is putting the final touches on a six-man super middleweight round-robin tournament that will include two current champions and three former U.S. Olympians.
Two people with knowledge of the discussions told The Associated Press on Thursday that the details, including sites and dates, are being worked out this week. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because negotiations were ongoing.
The tournament is expected to include WBA champion Mikkel Kessler and WBC champion Carl Froch along with middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham. The three Europeans will be joined by former U.S. Olympians Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell.
Showtime issued a statement Thursday saying all six fighters would be in New York for a "groundbreaking boxing announcement" Monday, but declined to elaborate.