SEARCY - The Harding University football team will open the 2009 season Saturday, Aug. 29 at 6 p.m. against Missouri Southern at First Security Stadium in Searcy.
- Date/Time: Saturday, Aug. 29, 6 p.m. at First Security Stadium in Searcy, Ark.
- Television: White County Cable TV-16 (tape delayed)
- Radio: KVHU-95.3 FM in Searcy (Billy Morgan and Jery Mote)
- Series: MSSU leads 3-2
- Last Meeting: Missouri Southern won 45-31 in Joplin, Mo., on Aug. 30, 2008
- Harding is entering its 59th season of intercollegiate football and its 51st since the school reinstated football in 1959. The Bisons are 264-276-18 all-time.
- This season marks Harding's ninth as a member of the Gulf South Conference. The Bisons are 37-41 in GSC action.
- Harding is 35-20-3 (.629) all-time in 58 previous season-openers. The Bisons have won six of their last seven opener with the only loss coming last season at Missouri Southern.
- Harding is under the direction of third-year head coach Ronnie Huckeba, who has a 7-12 overall record in his first two season.
- The Bisons were picked to finish ninth in the 11-team Gulf South Conference Preseason Coaches' Poll. Harding senior wide receiver Kurt Adams was named to the Preseason All-GSC Team.
- Harding captains for the 2009 season (voted on by the team) are: senior WR Cade Caton, senior OL Brad Parker, senior LB Jeremy Townsend, junior LB Jason Thomasson and senior LB Jermaine Blanchard. Additional members of the leadership council include: Josh Jones, Zac Ross, Eddie Russ, Jr., Jordan Watson, Kurt Adams, Luke Tribble, Alex Franklin and Keenan Kitchen.