MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Police are searching for a suspect they say shot three people at Visions Night Club early Monday morning.
The club, open for just two weeks, was the chaotic scene of the shooting, which happened around 4:00 a.m.
"At the time the club let out the parking lot was full," said Lt. Col. Mark McClain of the Memphis Police Department. "There was a lot of activity. The shots rang out. We had two separate shootings on the parking lot."
Three people were injured. Investigators said one person was shot during a robbery as the club closed. The other two were likely hit by stray bullets fired during the robbery.
The three people scattered. Police found one of them in the parking lot at Visions. A second wound up at a Sears store across the street, after driving there for help. A third victim went to St. Francis hospital on his own.
The building where Visions Night Club is located has seen problems in the past. The building, in the 3600 block of Ridgeway, used to house The Martini Room, has appeared in the news several times:
- Investigators raided the Martini Room during a June 2004 drug sting.
- Five months later, an off-duty cop shot a club patron.
- West Memphis football star Lee Townsend got shot at the Martini Room.
- Christmas night 2005, another teen party turned into another shooting.
- And an alleged plot to take down then Mayor Willie Herenton supposedly had ties to the nightclub before it eventually closed down.
Monday, among the party flyers, multi-colored bandannas and other assorted trash in the clubs parking lot, investigators found several shell casings, while the shooter remained on the loose.
If you have information that could aid police call CrimeStoppers at 901-528-CASH.