SEC FOOTBALL NOTES (Sunday, October 11, 2009)
- Five SEC teams are ranked in the Harris Interactive Top 25 poll this week, while four are ranked in the Associated Press and USA Today polls. Florida is the top ranked team in all three polls while Alabama is second in the AP and Harris polls and third in the USA Today poll. LSU is ninth in the Harris poll and 10th in the AP and USA Today polls. South Carolina is 22nd in all three polls while Auburn is 24th in the Harris poll.
- The SEC is 26-5 in non-conference games in 2009, an 83.9 winning percentage. The percentage is the best in NCAA FBS. Since expansion in 1992, the SEC is 658-207-2 in non-conference games (counting bowl games), a 76.0 winning percentage.
- Florida has the SEC's best overall record since 2004 (56-14, 80.0 percent) while the Gators and Georgia are tied for the best overall record in the SEC since 1999 (101-33, 75.4 percent).
- SEC games this season have attracted 3,084,875 fans in 40 games this season, an average of 77,122 fans per home game. Stadiums are filled to 98.54 percent of capacity.
- SEC teams are 36-6 when scoring first this season, a 85.7 winning percentage.
- Alabama has been in the red zone 33 times this season, more than any other team. Meanwhile, Alabama and Florida are tied for least amount of times its opponent has been in the red zone with eight each.
- Florida's Tim Tebow is 27-5 as the Gators' starting quarterback, an 84.4 winning percentage. The mark is currently sixth best in SEC history.
- Since 1992, the SEC has had three teams ranked in the AP Top 10 in 120 of 294 polls (40.8 percent).
- SEC kickers are 21-of-28 in field goals over 40-yards (75.0 percent). Of kickers attempting two-or-more kicks over 40 yards this season, Georgia's Blair Walsh (4-of-4), Ole Miss' Joshua Shene (2-of-2) and LSU's Josh Jasper (2-of-2) are perfect in their attempts.
- Since 2004, the SEC has had 84 intra-conference games decided by 5-points-or-less. The 31.82 percent rate of these games is the highest in NCAA FBS. The average winning margin in an SEC vs. SEC game since 2004 is 13.53 points per game, which is second behind the ACC (13.05).
- Alabama PK Leigh Tiffin had 5 FGs and a PAT against Ole Miss and now has 317 career points, which puts him tied for 10th in career scoring in SEC history. Tiffin's 66 career field goals made is sixth in SEC history as well.
- Florida's Brandon James and Alabama's Javier Arenas are 1-2 in SEC career history in total kick return yardage (punt+kickoff). James has 3,397 yards and Arenas has 3,376 yards.
- SEC teams are averaging 29.7 points per game and 388.0 total yards per game. Those numbers are third among NCAA FBS conferences this season. SEC defenses are allowing 20.0 points and 312.4 yards per game this season.
- SEC teams are pretty even at rushing and passing TDs this season. SEC teams have scored 113 passing TDs and 109 rushing TDs.
- MISCELLANY ... Tennessee is outscoring opponents 66-13 in the 4th quarter, biggest margin in the SEC this season ... 10 of 12 teams have outscored opponents in the 4th quarter this season ... Alabama, Arkansas, LSU and Vanderbilt have allowed opponents to score 9-points-or-less off its turnovers thus far this season ... Auburn leads SEC with 17 offensive drives of less than two minutes ... Florida leads SEC, converting 50.8 offensive drives into points this season ... Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Vanderbilt have each held opponents to 3-downs-and-out 40 percent or more times this season ... Gators lead SEC at 50.00 percent (30 of 60 drives).
Oct. 17 SEC Football Schedule
Georgia at Vanderbilt * 11:21 a.m. CT * SEC Network
Mississippi State at Middle Tennessee State * 11:30 a.m. CT * ESPNU
Arkansas at Florida * 3:30 p.m. ET * CBS Sports
UAB at Ole Miss * 6 p.m. CT * Fox Sports South
Kentucky at Auburn * 6:30 p.m. CT * ESPNU
South Carolina at Alabama * 6:45 p.m. CT * ESPN
Scores from Oct. 10
Army 16, Vanderbilt 13 (34,357 at West Point, N.Y.)
Arkansas 44, Auburn 23 (72,559 at Fayetteville)
Tennessee 45, Georgia 19 (103,261 at Knoxville)
Houston 31, Mississippi State 24 (48,019 at Starkville)
South Carolina 28, Kentucky 26 (68,278 at Columbia)
Alabama 22, Ole Miss 3 (62,657 at Oxford)
Florida 13, LSU 3 (93,129 at Baton Rouge)
Top Performances from Oct. 10
Ben Tate (Auburn) - 22 carries for 184 yards, 2 TDs
Mark Ingram (Alabama) - 28 for 172 yards, 1 TD
Michael Smith (Arkansas) - 18 for 145 yards, 1 TD
Anthony Dixon (Miss. State) - 21 for 134 yards, 2 TDs
Kenny Miles (South Carolina) - 17 for 100 yards
Jonathan Crompton (Tennessee) - 20 of 27 for 310 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT
Ryan Mallett (Arkansas) - 24 of 37 for 274 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
Stephen Garcia (South Carolina) - 16 of 23 for 233 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT
Alshon Jeffery (South Carolina) - 7 catches for 138 yards, 3 TDs
D.J. Williams (Arkansas) - 6 for 57 yards, 1 TD
Gerald Jones (Tennessee) - 5 for 105 yards, 2 TDs
MLB Kelvin Sheppard (LSU) - 13 total tackles (5 solos)
WLB Perry Riley (LSU) - 12 total tackles (3 solos); 0.5 TFL (-1), 2 PBU, 1 QBH
FS Chad Jones (LSU) - 12 total tackles (2 solos)
MLB Brandon Spikes (Florida) - 11 total tackles (4 solos), 2.5 sacks (-14); 1 FF
FS Joel Caldwell (Vanderbilt) - 11 total tackles (6 solos), 1 PBU