Women Ready for race for the cure - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Women Ready for race for the cure

By Brandi Hodges - bio | email

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Every year hundreds of women wear their hearts on their sleeves and make the trip to Little Rock to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  But for many, this is more than just a race.

Many in Region 8 are preparing to strap on their running shoes ready to run.

"All the breast cancer survivors are in pink with a shirt or a cap.  It just touches you that you're doing a great thing.  You're supporting a great cause," said Care Navigator and Pink Warrior Team Captain Dee Collins.

This race, unlike some others, gets support from runners, walkers and watchers!

"They've been touched with breast cancer themselves or they know somebody and they want to be a part to help raise money," said Collins.

Collins said the whole process of this event from the fashion show, to registration, to the race means a lot to survivors and to those just starting the battle.  A photo from a race is featured in survivor Natalie Teague's portrait at St. Bernards.

"She wanted to participate, but her friends walked in her honor.  That was just a great uplifting moment for her to know that people cared enough for her that they were willing to make that trip and walk for her," said Collins.

25% of the money raised goes national for breast cancer research but the other 75% comes back here in the form of grants.

"We don't want a woman not to get a mammogram just because they don't have insurance.  That's just a great way that this money is helping folks here locally," said Collins.

In this race, survivors come together like a sisterhood.

"For most people it's the camaraderie.  It's the support that they see.  It's to say that I'm not alone," said Collins.

©2009 KAIT

 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Arkansas State University convention center coming soon

    Arkansas State University convention center coming soon

    Friday, November 17 2017 9:07 PM EST2017-11-18 02:07:11 GMT
    Saturday, November 18 2017 8:43 AM EST2017-11-18 13:43:07 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    After presenting a request to get their Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center up and running, the O’Reilly group received the green light from the Jonesboro Advertising and Promotions Commission. However, not without certain stipulations in that request.

    After presenting a request to get their Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center up and running, the O’Reilly group received the green light from the Jonesboro Advertising and Promotions Commission. However, not without certain stipulations in that request.

  • Downtown businesses help out City Youth Ministries

    Downtown businesses help out City Youth Ministries

    Friday, November 17 2017 9:22 PM EST2017-11-18 02:22:20 GMT
    Friday, November 17 2017 9:55 PM EST2017-11-18 02:55:05 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    The holidays are just around the corner and businesses in downtown Jonesboro spent Friday evening giving back to kids in the community.

    The holidays are just around the corner and businesses in downtown Jonesboro spent Friday evening giving back to kids in the community.

  • FCC to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls

    FCC to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls

    Friday, November 17 2017 9:40 PM EST2017-11-18 02:40:38 GMT
    Friday, November 17 2017 9:51 PM EST2017-11-18 02:51:13 GMT
    (Source: Pablo)(Source: Pablo)

    The Attorney General of Arkansas was successful in getting the Federal Communications Commission’s to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls.

    The Attorney General of Arkansas was successful in getting the Federal Communications Commission’s to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls.

Powered by Frankly