Pets killed in house fire in Region 8

WALNUT RIDGE, AR (KAIT) – A house fire early Monday morning leaves 2 pets dead, and a home heavily damaged.

According to the Walnut Ridge Fire Department, they received a house fire call at 310 northeast Front Street around 8:30 Monday morning.

When crews arrived on scene, smoke could be seen coming from the roof. Firefighters say the fire was thickest in the kitchen and dining areas. Fire investigators found a heater face down on the floor in that area of the home.

The three people who lived at the house were not home at the time of the fire, but 2 dogs were inside. Firefighters tried to resuscitate the dogs, but were unsuccessful. No one else was injured in the fire.

The home suffered heavy smoke and fire damage to the attic and roof.

No word yet on the cause of the fire.

©2009 KAIT All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.