By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback
Space heaters are a popular way to heat--plugging one of them up, usually means turning your heat down some.
"From what we had when we were kids--you can't go around them, can't touch them, can't bear to knock it over--we've come a long way with them," said George Donoho, Lowe's.
He reminds space heater users whether it's brand new or an older model--the same safety rules apply and they must be used with caution. Donoho says there are three popular models right now. While some of their features are different, he says they all automatically shut off if they fall over--in addition, he says they won't burn you if you touch the outside.
"It prevents a fire from breaking out or falling over on a little child and burning them severely," said Donoho.
Donoho says with the new heaters, you can better control the temperature too. If the power goes out, and your generator comes on, Eric Simmons at the Jonesboro Fire Department says make sure you put it in the right place.
"One of the things that you should never do is use it inside," said Simmons.
He says that includes inside a garage. He says make sure the area is well ventilated. Other things to remember when using a generator include:
Do not plug it into a wall outlet--it could be dangerous for utility workers and others.
Let it cool before refueling--fuel spilled on hot engine parts could ignite
Don't forget the carbon monoxide alarm
"Anytime you burn gas, whether it's a gas stove or gas heater, generator, make sure that you have that carbon monoxide detector just to keep you safe,"said Simmons.