Grocery stores and shoppers stocking up - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Grocery stores and shoppers stocking up

By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback

Diane Gibbs is on a mission.

"Last minute shopping before the weather gets here," said Gibbs.

She's not alone. The threat of winter weather means bustling check out lines as people scramble to get the essentials.

"Milk, bread, and I needed some eggs--just picking up a few things just in case we get iced in," said Gibbs.

As people rush to fill their cabinets, workers at Hays are making sure their shelves are stocked too.

"It's definitely busier than most Wednesdays," said Assistant Manager, Matt Hill.

"When we know the weather's going to be bad--it definitely changes how we order," said Jason Grant.

At Bill's Fresh Market, Assistant Manager Jason Grant says they ordered 5 times what they normally would have of things like water, bread and milk--all ahead of the wicked winter weather being forecasted.

Jennifer Hare says she won't be caught off guard by whatever mother nature throws our way.  She's made her list, and checked it twice.

"I've got everything I needed so I'm ready for it.   Snow me in and I'll be in," said Hare.

"I learned my lesson from the last one and I'm going to be prepared this time," said Gibbs.

Gibbs says it was grandma's advice to stock up on milk, bread and eggs anytime winter weather threatens because you never know when you'll need it or what you will need it for.

"My friends say I'm crazy but so what--I'll be the one with power and all of the stuff inside and they'll be coming to my house," said Gibbs.

©2010 KAIT all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Lake City officials take wait and see approach on flooding

Friday, February 23 2018 11:11 PM EST2018-02-24 04:11:18 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 11:42 PM EST2018-02-24 04:42:04 GMT
    A truck moves slowly Friday in Lake City as the town awaits any problems from flooding. (Source: KAIT-TV)A truck moves slowly Friday in Lake City as the town awaits any problems from flooding. (Source: KAIT-TV)

Heavy rains have impacted areas throughout Northeast Arkansas while officials in Lake City said Friday they are doing fine after a much-needed break in the rain.

Father reunited with son's stolen ashes

Friday, February 23 2018 11:35 PM EST2018-02-24 04:35:16 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 11:40 PM EST2018-02-24 04:40:20 GMT

The Peevey family can now rest after two people confessed to destroying their loved one’s final resting place and stealing his ashes.

A Family for Me: Alex

Friday, February 23 2018 9:08 PM EST2018-02-24 02:08:56 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 10:49 PM EST2018-02-24 03:49:43 GMT
    10-year-old Alex is looking for a home. (Source: KAIT-TV)10-year-old Alex is looking for a home. (Source: KAIT-TV)

This week, Region 8 News' Ryan Vaughan had the opportunity to talk with 10-year-old Alex.