Troy, AL (ASU) - The Arkansas State women's tennis team (4-7) dropped a 6-1 decision on the road against Sun Belt Conference rival Troy at the Lunsford Tennis Complex in Troy, Ala. Saturday afternoon.
"Troy is usually one of the top four teams in the conference and this year is no exception," said ASU head coach Marcia Williams. "We had our chances to win the doubles point and let them slip away. We had three close singles matches and only won one."
Arkansas State dropped the doubles point, losing at all three positions, and could not recover in singles play. Rone' van Wyk was the only Red Wolf to win a match, defeating Leonie Guijt 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (10-4).
The Red Wolves will return to action when they travel to Mobile, Ala. to take on the Jaguars of South Alabama Sunday at noon.
Williams added, "We will have to be more confident and determined to win tomorrow if we are going to have a chance against South Alabama."
Troy 6, Arkansas State 1 (Lunsford Tennis Complex)
1. Karoline Grymel (TROY) def. Elne' Barnard (ASU) 7-6 (2), 6-4
2. Lauren Simpson (TROY) def. Jenny Herring (ASU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Rone' van Wyk (ASU) def. Leonie Guijt (TROY) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Stephanie Vieira (TROY) def. Menna Kamal (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Rosaura Ramirez-Vega (TROY) def. Menna Aleman (ASU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Emma Smith (TROY) def. Ioana Teu (ASU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5)
Order of finish: 2,5,4,6,3,1
1. Karoline Grymel/Leonie Guijt (TROY) def. Elne' Barnard/Rone' van Wyk (ASU) 8-7 (5)
2. Lauren Simpson/Emma Smith (TROY) def. Menna Aleman/Ioana Teu (ASU) 8-6
3. Stephanie Vieira/Rosaura Ramirez-Vega (TROY) def. Jenny Herring/Menna Kamal (ASU) 8-0
Order of finish: 3,2,1