UPDATE: Police make arrest in Annie Camp shooting threat

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Jonesboro Police have arrested a 14-year-old Annie Camp Jr. High student for phoning in a shooting threat to the school Friday afternoon.

Police say the 14-year-old female student was arrested Saturday afternoon around 3:15 p.m. and charged with "Death Threat Concerning a School Employee or Student," which is a felony.

The motive for her actions are unknown at this time.

Below is Lauren Payne's report from the scene Friday.

Concerned parents waited anxiously for their children after Annie Camp Junior High was put on lock down Friday afternoon.

"I was crying--still crying," said parent, Debbie George.

Police and school officials say a threatening call came into the school just after 2:30 Friday afternoon.

"I just didn't know what to think--I called my mom," said one student.

"I was shocked, I couldn't say anything, tears just started coming down my face," said another student.

"Basically went into lock down until Jonesboro Police gave me the all clear," said Annie Camp Junior High Principal, William Cheatham.  Cheatham says his secretary took the call from what appeared as a private number.

"They said that they had a weapon and they were coming to get us," said Cheatham.

Cheatham says he immediately contacted the school's school resource officer, who made contact with other officers. He said Jonesboro Police were on the scene securing the inside and outside of the building in just minutes.

"Once they set up the perimeter, I came out and told parents what was going on.   They passed the word," said Cheatham.

"Very quickly let me say that we were able to secure the school and prepare against any threat that we had," said Sergeant Steve McDaniel, Jonesboro Police Department.

Sergeant McDaniel said they made sure all of the students were accounted for and safe in their classrooms.  He says nothing threatening was found on campus during a search of the school.

The investigation will continue into who made the call, and why.

For mom Debbie George, she says all that matters to her now is that her daughter is safe.

"You can't quit your job to come up here and babysit them, but you know you got to do something.   I'm glad it was just a call and nothing actually happened," said George.

 all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

©2010 KAIT all rights reserved.