HAMILTON, Mo. (AP) - Officials at a northwest Missouri high school say no one was harmed after two students brought a bottle of mercury into the building.
Administrators at Penney High School called the state Department of Natural Resources after seeing the students playing with the bottle in the commons area Wednesday morning.
The St. Joseph News-Press reports that faculty members followed instructions from the state agency and quarantined the area where the mercury was being handled.
DNR officials said none of the mercury spilled, and the school says no students were exposed to it.
Even small amounts of spilled mercury can be hazardous.
The school remained open. Administrators declined to discuss possible punishment for the two students.
Information from: St. Joseph News-Press, http://www.stjoenews-press.com