9 killed in latest attack at China school - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

9 killed in latest attack at China school

By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN
Associated Press Writer

BEIJING (AP) - An attacker with a cleaver hacked to death seven children and two adults at a kindergarten in northwest China on Wednesday, the latest in a string of savage assaults on the country's schools. Eleven other children were wounded.

The killer, 48-year-old Wu Huanming, returned home after the attack on the outskirts of the city of Hanzhong and committed suicide, the local government reported. A motive wasn't known, although reports indicated he and the school administrator may have known each other.

It was the fifth such major assault on young students in China since late March and occurred despite increased security at schools countrywide, with gates and security cameras installed and additional police and guards posted at entrances.

The latest deaths were sure to fuel speculation about why assailants - usually lone males - are targeting schools. Sociologists say it reflects a lack of support for the mentally ill and rising stress resulting from huge social inequalities in China's fast-changing society.

The attack began at about 8:20 a.m., as children were arriving at the private Shengshui Temple Kindergarten in Hanzhong's Nanzheng county, the government statement said. The area is on the city's rural outskirts in a relatively poor part of the country.

Wu killed the school's administrator Wu Hongying and a student on the spot, then hacked at 18 others, the statement said. Six students and Wu Hongying's mother later died in hospital, it said. None of the 11 others hospitalized was in immediate danger, it said.

Wu is a common Chinese surname and it wasn't clear if the assailant and administrator were related.

A Nanzheng county resident reached by phone said crowds had gathered outside the kindergarten, but information was spotty. The government statement and the resident both said Wu Huanming had rented the kindergarten property to Wu Hongying.

"I saw him (the attacker) before and he looked quite normal," said the man, who would identify himself only by his surname, Li.

The ages of the seven children killed were not disclosed, but kindergarten students would typically be 5 years or less. The official Xinhua News Agency said they were five boys and two girls.

Early reports on Wednesday's attack were removed from Chinese Web sites or moved from the home page to inside sections, an apparent attempt to play down the incident. There was no mention of it on state television's national noon news report.

Some experts previously have warned that prominent media coverage can inspire copycat attacks.

State media has also steered clear of examining what might be motivating school attackers, preferring to focus on increasesin security.

The government has sought to show it has the problem under control, mindful especially of worries among middle-class families who, limited in most cases to one child due to population control policies, invest huge amounts of money and effort to raise their offspring.

The Hanzhong city government statement said all departments had been mobilized to save the wounded, find out how the attack occurred and ensure safety at all schools and kindergartens.

"Leave no stone unturned, learn from the mistakes, and strictly ensure nothing happens like this again," the statement said.

The city government earlier reported that about 2,000 police officers and security guards had been detailed to patrol public schools, kindergartens and surrounding areas beginning last week. The city in Shaanxi province has a population of nearly 4 million.

The string of school assaults began with an attack on a primary school in March in the city of Nanping in Fujian province where eight children were slashed to death by a former community clinic doctor with a history of mental health problems.

The man convicted for that crime was executed on April 28, the same day a 33-year-old former teacher broke into a primary school in the southern city of Leizhou in Guangdong province and wounded 15 students and a teacher with a knife.

The following day in Taixing city in Jiangsu province, a 47-year-old unemployed man armed with an 8-inch (20-centimeter) knife wounded 29 kindergarten students - five seriously - plus two teachers and a security guard.

Just hours later, a farmer hit five elementary students with a hammer in the eastern city of Weifang before burning himself to death.


- May 12, 2010: A man with a cleaver hacks seven children and two adults to death at a kindergarten in Hanzhong city in Shaanxi province. He then kills himself.

- April 30, 2010: A farmer attacks and wounds five kindergarten students with a hammer in Shandong province's Weifang city before burning himself to death. The man also strikes a teacher. None of the children has life-threatening injuries.

- April 29, 2010: A 47-year-old unemployed man attacks 4-year-olds in a kindergarten in Jiangsu province, wounding 29 of them. Two teachers and a security guard are also hurt.

- April 28, 2010: A teacher on sick leave due to mental illness breaks into a primary school in Leizhou city in Guangdong province in southern China and stabs 18 students and a teacher.

- April 12, 2010: Yang Jiaqin, 40, hacks to death a second grader and an elderly woman near an elementary school in Xizhen village of the southern Guangxi region. Yang's family was scheduled the next day to send him to a hospital for psychological treatment for a mood disorder.

- March 23, 2010: Zheng Minsheng, 42, kills eight children in a knife attack at the Nanping Experimental Elementary School in south China's Fujian province. Zheng is executed April 28.

- March 2, 2009: Xu Ximei, 40, hacks a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old to death with a kitchen knife and wounds three others and a grandmother at a primary school and nearby yard in Mazhan, a village in Guangdong province. Xu was believed to be mentally disabled.

- Feb. 24, 2008: Chen Wenzhen, a former student at the Leizhou No. 2 Middle School in Guangdong province, stabs to death a boy and a girl, then kills himself. Chen had dropped out because he suffered from headaches and could not concentrate on his studies.

- June 13, 2007: A man identified only by his surname, Su, breaks into the Chiling Primary School in Longtang township in Guangdong and kills a 9-year-old boy with a kitchen knife. Three other students are seriously wounded. The attacker had quarreled with the boy's parents.

- May 24, 2006: Yang Xinlong hacks a neighbor to death in the village of Luoying in central China's Henan province, then takes 19 elementary school students hostage and kills one. Police shoot him when he refuses to surrender.

- Nov. 25, 2004: Yan Yiming, 21, breaks into a Chinese high school dormitory and stabs nine boys to death in Ruzhou, Henan province. Yan's mother turns him in to police after he attempts suicide on the day following the attack. He is executed two months later.

- Aug. 4, 2004: Xu Heping, 51, a part-time gatekeeper at a Beijing kindergarten kills one student and slashes 14 others and three teachers. Xu had a history of schizophrenia. The attack, near the compound where President Hu Jintao and other Chinese leaders live and work, prompted the government to increase security at schools nationwide.

__

Associated Press researcher Xi Yue contributed to this report.

Source: AP, Xinhua News Agency reports

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Young boys treat their moms to date night

    Young boys treat their moms to date night

    Sunday, May 20 2018 10:17 PM EDT2018-05-21 02:17:00 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 10:44 PM EDT2018-05-21 02:44:23 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    The dance floor was hot Sunday evening at a Jonesboro Kappa League event.

    The dance floor was hot Sunday evening at a Jonesboro Kappa League event.

  • Storm causes building collapse, trapping 2 people

    Storm causes building collapse, trapping 2 people

    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:41 PM EDT2018-05-21 00:41:35 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:46 PM EDT2018-05-21 00:46:07 GMT
    (Source: Earle Fire Department via Facebook)(Source: Earle Fire Department via Facebook)
    (Source: Earle Fire Department via Facebook)(Source: Earle Fire Department via Facebook)

    The Earle and Crawfordsville Fire Departments responded to a building collapse that trapped two people in Crittenden County Sunday.  

    The Earle and Crawfordsville Fire Departments responded to a building collapse that trapped two people in Crittenden County Sunday.  

  • Slideshow: May 20 storms

    Slideshow: May 20 storms

    Sunday, May 20 2018 4:27 PM EDT2018-05-20 20:27:33 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 7:23 PM EDT2018-05-20 23:23:43 GMT
    A severe storm moved through Lawrence County Sunday south of Hoxie, looking south on Highway 91. (Source: Hatton Weeks via Twitter)A severe storm moved through Lawrence County Sunday south of Hoxie, looking south on Highway 91. (Source: Hatton Weeks via Twitter)

    A series of storms pushed heavy rains, winds and hail into Region 8 Sunday afternoon. 

    A series of storms pushed heavy rains, winds and hail into Region 8 Sunday afternoon. 

Powered by Frankly