Protecting kids from poisons in the home - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Protecting kids from poisons in the home

By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - "We've received several calls over the years--overdoses, poisoning," said E-911 Director, Jeff Presley.  

Poisoning is one of the most common childhood injuries according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.  According to 911 Director Jeff Presley, around 90 percent of all poisonings occur in the home.

"We use the phrase location, identification.   You want to know where those chemicals, or those hazards are located," said Presley.

 So whether it's under your sink, in your garage, or in your purse, Presley says knowing where and what you have will help in the event you have to call poison control centers for advice on treatment for ingestion.

"They need to know exactly what the child has taken. How much?  They'll ask a series of questions--they'll want to know how much the child weighs," said Presley.

"If it's handy for us, then it's also handy for that child," said Craighead County Office of Emergency Management Coordinator, David Moore.

Moore says it's not just ingesting chemicals that parents need to worry about.

"I've seen chemicals sit side by side that can put off a poisonous gas.   They can burn skin," said Moore.

Here are some things to remember--

Lock cabinets where chemicals, even alcohol, are stored so kids can't reach them.

Monitor your meds--know what and how much you have--if some are missing--start asking questions.

Leave chemicals in their original container--you or a child might inadvertently ingest a chemical if it's in an unmarked container.

Don't change chemicals from original container

"Small actions that are pro-active can really help a situation," said Presley.

E 911 Director Jeff Presley says if you suspect someone has ingested a potentially harmful product--call  poison control at 1-800-222-1222.

He adds if you notice any sort of distress in a child like shallow breathing, sweating, or confusion, call 9-1-1 immediately.

©2010 KAIT All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly