Gas smokers could explode, voluntary recall issued - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Gas smokers could explode, voluntary recall issued

By Josh Harvison - bio | email

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – The Consumer Product Safety Commission along with Char-Broil issued a voluntary recall of the Vertical Gas Smoker sold at Walmart and other retailers from March 2008 through June 2010.

According to a news release from CPSC, the smoker is being recalled due to possible harm to people after a buildup of gas explodes.

"When the temperature setting is in "low," the smoke's hose/valve/regulator (HVR) assembly does not allow sufficient gas to flow, causing the flame to extinguish. Gas continues to flow and build up inside the smoker. If the smoker is reignited the buildup of propane gas can cause an explosion that bursts the smoker's door open, posing an injury hazard," the release stated.

According to the release, 18,450 units were sold in the United States at a price of $140.

The description of the smoker is as follows:

"This recall involved the Char-Broil vertical gas smokers with model number 07701413. The model number is printed on a metal tag located on the right rear leg of the smoker. The smoker measures 21.5" x 19.5" x 45.5" and weighs 75 pounds. A "G" inside a triangle is printed on the regulator," said the release.
"They've got a model number. they've got a lot of different things they can look at to make sure that theirs is not having that recall, but anytime you're cooking and you have the flame going, it goes out, you have something wrong," said Eric Simmons with the Jonesboro Fire Department. "Make sure you don't have gas leaking or gas building up because when you do ignite it, it could possibly blow up on you."

The Jonesboro Fire Department told Region 8 News Wednesday they were preparing for a busy Labor Day weekend. Simmons, who has been with Jonesboro for 12 years, said any gas grill or smoker can buildup gas inside.
"Turn it on once it starts, if it goes out; make sure it's not just filling up in there. We don't want any gas buildup and then an explosion when you light it up again," said Simmons. "One of the things you want to check for is to make sure your hose is in good shape. Make sure it's not leaking so that when you're turning the propane on, it's not leaking around there. They suggest trying to spray water on the hose, just to make sure there are no leaks coming from it."

Simmons said with no Arkansas State University home game and many college football games on television, families across Region 8 will roll out the grill.

"Anytime you have cooking going on, there are going to be potential causes of fire. whether it be inside or outside, grills can be dangerous at times and if you're not using them right or if you leave something on the stove while you're outside checking the grill, you could also have a fire in that manner," said Simmons.

In order to prevent a house fire, Simmons said those cooking should move grills to a location away from the home and away from where activities are taking place.

"Just move it from under the house, move it out from under any awnings because the heat can actually melt the siding on top of your house. You want to move it out in the open but you don't want to move it out where kids are playing or anything like that," said Simmons.

"Even if you try to relight charcoal fluid or charcoal lighter fluid, things can kind of get a real burst on you so you just have to be real careful anytime you use that. Especially if you have gas that's going to be putting off a vapor and even you're charcoal lighter fluid," said Simmons. "Don't put gasoline or anything else on your charcoal in attempts to get them started."

©2010 KAIT All rights reserved.

 

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • NEA Humane Society wins court battle over horses

    NEA Humane Society wins court battle over horses

    Thursday, October 19 2017 9:00 PM EDT2017-10-20 01:00:23 GMT
    Thursday, October 19 2017 9:23 PM EDT2017-10-20 01:23:58 GMT
    (Source: NEA Humane Society)(Source: NEA Humane Society)

    It was a groundbreaking win in court for the NEA Humane Society, after several months of fighting in court over an animal cruelty case involving horses. 

    It was a groundbreaking win in court for the NEA Humane Society, after several months of fighting in court over an animal cruelty case involving horses. 

  • Man charged in triple murder of girlfriend, 2 children

    Man charged in triple murder of girlfriend, 2 children

    Thursday, October 19 2017 8:33 PM EDT2017-10-20 00:33:35 GMT

    A man has been charged with three counts of capital murder in the death of his girlfriend and two of her children, according to the victim's family. 

    A man has been charged with three counts of capital murder in the death of his girlfriend and two of her children, according to the victim's family. 

  • BRTC library back open following spring flooding

    BRTC library back open following spring flooding

    Thursday, October 19 2017 7:09 PM EDT2017-10-19 23:09:53 GMT
    Thursday, October 19 2017 8:20 PM EDT2017-10-20 00:20:27 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    Black River Technical College's library on their Pocahontas campus in now back open.

    Black River Technical College's library on their Pocahontas campus in now back open.

Powered by Frankly