Pit Bull that attacked and killed another dog will be put down - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Pit Bull that attacked and killed another dog will be put down

By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -- On August 30th, a Chihuahua was attacked and killed by a Pit Bull that had gotten loose in a west Jonesboro neighborhood.

On Wednesday,  the owner of the Pit Bull has been ordered to surrender the dog to Jonesboro Animal Control where the dog will be euthanized.

"I still have bad dreams, can't hardly sleep at night.   I guess I just keep thinking about that dog coming into my house," said Mary Dunnivant.

Mary Dunnivant clings to her dog, Tito's, favorite toy.  It's been almost two weeks since the dog was attacked and killed by a Pit Bull right in front of her.

"It could have been a child," said Dunnivant.

"I covered my ears, I was screaming, my husband did all he could to try and get that dog off," said Kristin Hedge.

Kristin Hedge says she saw the whole thing.  She says  knowing the dog won't be back in the neighborhood, is comforting.

"My kids play out here all of the time and if that had been one of them, I wouldn't know what to do," said Hedge.

"I have a Chihuahua.   I would be very upset if my dog was to be attacked and killed," said Ginger Dunavant.

Ginger Dunavant says it's an unfortunate situation for both dog owners, but she adds euthanizing the Pit Bull is a little severe.

"I feel for the owner of the Pit Bull, I feel for the Pit Bull, because he probably doesn't realize what he did," said Dunavant.

"I don't think they hurt as much as I did, and I'm still hurting," said Mary Dunnivant.

Mary says that wasn't the first time the Pit Bull had been roaming the neighborhood, and she says more should have been done to make sure the dog couldn't get loose.  She says people have offered to give her another dog, but she says it won't replace Tito.

"I thanked them, but it wasn't the same.   I miss my Tito," said Mary Dunnivant.

Region 8 News was able to speak with one of the Pit Bull's owners, but she had no comment on the situation.

©2010 KAIT  All rights reserved.

Traffic stops end with happy families in Jackson County

Wednesday, December 13 2017 11:38 PM EST2017-12-14 04:38:02 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 11:52 PM EST2017-12-14 04:52:54 GMT

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Department put their own spin on Shop with a Cop this holiday season as they made several traffic-stops for a giving reason.

A-State goes bowling Wednesday

Wednesday, December 13 2017 9:36 PM EST2017-12-14 02:36:16 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 10:39 PM EST2017-12-14 03:39:52 GMT
    A-State defensive end Ja'Von Rolland-Jones looks on as A-State defensive back Blaise Taylor bowls Wednesday night in Montgomery, Ala. (Source: KAIT)A-State defensive end Ja'Von Rolland-Jones looks on as A-State defensive back Blaise Taylor bowls Wednesday night in Montgomery, Ala. (Source: KAIT)

The A-State Red Wolves are set to go bowling Saturday night when they face Middle Tennessee in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl before a national audience on ESPN.

Sharp Co. SO: Child with head injury, father arrested

Wednesday, December 13 2017 7:06 PM EST2017-12-14 00:06:17 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 10:04 PM EST2017-12-14 03:04:54 GMT
    Carl Adrian Ring (Source: Sharp County Sheriff's Office via Vinelink)Carl Adrian Ring (Source: Sharp County Sheriff's Office via Vinelink)

A Sharp County man is in trouble with the law in connection with an investigation into his three-month-old child having a head injury, Sharp County authorities said Wednesday.