New warnings issued to remind people to store medicines properly

By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) "It is a very big concern because I don't want anything to happen to him," said mom, Sara Thomas.

That's why Sara Thomas says she makes sure the medicine in her home is out of her young sons reach.

"We make sure everything is locked up," said Thomas.

"Whether they're over the counter medications or prescription medications, they should be kept out of reach," said Dr. Shane Speights.  In fact, new warnings are being issued by  federal health officials to keep medicines out of a child's reach.  Dr. Shane Speights says accidental ingestion of drugs can be a deadly situation.

"These medications were intended for adults at a certain weight, at a certain height.   They were not intended for a 12 pound, 24 pound child--that's why most of the medications we give  children are weight based," said Dr. Speights.

Dr. Speights says it's important to know what meds you  have in your home, so if accidental ingestion occurs experts will know how to treat it.  He adds if a child does accidentally ingest drugs, don't wait to see if symptoms occur--call 9-1-1 or the Poison Control Center immediately.

"Some people may remember the use of Ipecac which is a medication that induces vomiting. That is no longer indicated and should no longer be used for any overdose," said Dr. Speights.

An accidental overdose is a scary thought for mom Sara Thomas.  She makes sure the meds they do have are out of reach, and under lock and key.

"We have one of those safes that you have to enter the combination yourself and only me and my husband know it,"said Thomas.

Dr. Speights says everyone should have the number for the Poison Control Center displayed somewhere in the home in the event it's ever needed. The number for the Poison Control Center is 1-800-222-1222.

Remember,  just because a lid may say child proof, it's doesn't always mean children won't be able to open it.

©2010 KAIT  All rights reserved.