Week 1 Missouri Bootheel High School Playoff Roundup

Saint Louis (semoball.com) - The high school playoffs in Missouri started this week, with plenty of bootheel schools advancing to the next round.

Caruthersville 39, Crystal City 6 (Dunklin Daily Democrat)

The Caruthersville Tigers advanced to the 2nd round of the Class 2 State tournament after defeating the Crystal City Hornets, 39-6, on Wednesday night.

It was Caruthersville who dominated the game as they scored 39 unanswered points and didn't allow Crystal City to score until the 3:02 mark of the fourth quarter.

The Tigers would open up the scoring in the game with 7:12 left in the first when quarterback Perry Middleton would connect with David Shaw on an 86-yard touchdown pass to take an early 6-0 lead.

In the second quarter, Middleton would score the Tigers' second touchdownon the ground with a 5-yard run with 5:57 left. Middle would throw his second touchdown pass with just four seconds left in the half when he connected with Darries Jackson from the Crystal City four-yard line.

The Tigers would take a 20-0 lead into the locker room for half-time.

Caruthersville would score three more touchdowns in the third, including Middleton's second score on the ground and his third touchdown pass, giving the Tigers a 33-0 lead with 8:30 left in the third. The third touchdown of the quarter, and the final one of the game, for the Tigers would come off of a 65-yard punt return into the end zone by Peter Lloyd, giving his team a 39-0 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Although Crystal City would score their first touchdown of the game at the 3:02 mark in the fourth, it wouldn't be enough to start out a comeback they would run out of time and the Caruthersville Tigers would take the win, 39-6.

With the win, Caruthersville would keep their perfect record intact at 11-0, along with advancing to the 2nd round of the State playoffs.

Caruthersville will travel to Herculaneum, on Monday, to take on the Blackcats, who defeated Malden on Monday to advance.

Dexter 49, Saint Genevieve 28 (Dexter Daily Statesman)

The Dexter football Bearcats live to play another day after eliminating the Ste. Genevieve Dragons from the Class 3 playoff picture with a 49-28 win at Charles Bland Stadium Wednesday night.

The victory marked the first playoff win for a Bearcats football team since 1987, the senior season of Dexter's head coach Aaron Pixley, who was a member of that team.

Dexter set the tone early in its rematch with the Dragons, scoring on its first possession and building a 28-7 half-time advantage. Ste. Genevieve adjusted its passing attack during the break, but the Dragons couldn't find a way to slow down Dexter's balanced offense as both teams put 21 points on the board in the final two quarters of play.

Dexter will try to make it to the Class 3 quarterfinals Monday night when they hit the road for a rematch with Park Hills Central. The Rebels advanced to the matchup against Dexter Wednesday night with a 39-36 come-from-behind win over Fredericktown.

"It was a tough game," Dexter coach Aaron Pixley said after the win. "Their defensive line was tough and our linemen had a little bit of trouble early in the game staying with their blocks but they got better as the game went on and started doing a great job.

Sikeston 62, Potosi 8 (Sikeston Standard Democrat)

Almost every game this season, the Sikeston Bulldogs have tried to throw off opposing defenses with some sort of big yardage play. Whether it be a long, gadget pass from quarterback Trey Lewis or a reverse/misdirection run from their array of running options.

On Wednesday night to open their first round game of the Class 4 playoffs against the Potosi Trojans, Sikeston chose a pass play. And they chose right.

Lewis threw a 52-yard touchdown strike to sophomore Kyland Gross during the first play from scrimmage at Sikeston Public High School Stadium. With just 10 seconds ticked off the clock, the Bulldogs held a 7-0 lead and a firm grip on what would be a 62-8 Sikeston win.

"That's us," Sikeston head coach Kent Gibbs said. "From week to week we want to be aggressive on defense and start fast on offense. We work through the week on trying to get a good start and selecting plays that will get us there. We try to take advantage early of some things we think we can do.

Sikeston (11-0) continues their unbeaten season on Monday with their second meeting against the Cape Central Tigers, who beat DeSoto 61-28.

Herculaneum 29, Malden 18 (Sikeston Standard Democrat)

The Malden Green Wave saw their season come to an end in a Class 2 regional football game on Wednesday night, losing to the Herculaneum Blackcats 29-18.

Things seem to be going well for Malden, who led 12-7 at halftime and 18-15 after three quarters, but Herculaneum scored 14 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to end the Green Wave season at 8-3.

Valle Catholic 47, Hayti 6 (Sikeston Standard Democrat)

The Hayti Indians (7-4) played the highly-touted Valle Catholic Warriors close for a quarter, but fell 47-6 in a Class 1 regional football game Wednesday night.

The game was scoreless through one but Valle built a 17-6 halftime lead. The Warriors put the game away with 21 third quarter points and tacked on nine more in the fourth for the easy win.

Thayer 47, Chaffee 19 (Southeast Missourian)

Chaffee's first trip to the state football playoffs in 27 years ended with a thud.

But the Red Devils, featuring just six seniors, believe they laid solid groundwork for future success despite Wednesday's 47-19 Class 1 regional loss to host Thayer.

"We're trying to start a tradition," junior Alex Davie said. "We have a young team and hopefully we'll get better in the offseason."

Said junior quarterback Jordan Yahn: "We're definitely going to be ready for next year. I think we can go a lot further if we try hard enough."

The Red Devils tried hard Wednesday, but it wasn't nearly enough against a potent, playoff-tested Thayer team that entered with a five-game winning streak during which it outscored the opposition 265-35.

That domination continued Wednesday for the Bobcats, who reached the 2007 and 2008 state championship game while making four straight playoff appearances.

The Bobcats, scoring on their first five possessions, led 41-0 midway through the second quarter. Most of their key players spent the rest of the night on the bench.

"We were glad the older ones executed as well as they did so we could get our younger kids in the game," said Thayer coach Billy Webber, whose squad improved to 9-2.