Greers Ferry Shoreline Regulations

HEBER SPRINGS, Ark. -- Army Corps of Engineers officials ask those living near the lake to avoid unauthorized work on public property.  They also remind lake users and landowners adjacent to Greers Ferry Lake project lands that tying up boats along the shoreline and operating vehicles off authorized roadways on public property is prohibited.

The Corps reminds adjacent landowners to learn where the government property line is and to avoid unauthorized activities on government land. For anyone wishing to clean or alter public land officials advise obtaining written permission from the Corps before starting work because only certain alterations can be authorized. Violators are subject to a range of penalties under the law for unauthorized activities.

Boats left unattended break loose during storms and become floating hazards, while others become stranded on the shoreline as the lake level falls.

Vessels left on the lake must be moored at either a commercial marina or a private dock when not in use.  Otherwise, they must be removed from the lake and stored on private property, not on public land.

The Corps will patrol the lake to identify boats not in compliance.  Boats remaining on the lake in violation of these rules may be impounded with the owner subject to citation.  The Corps will also remove unauthorized buoys anchored in the lake.

Regulations also prohibit operation of vehicles off authorized roadways on project land.  This applies to all vehicles, including four-wheel-drive, off road and all terrain vehicles.  Driving off road destroys public property and degrades the shoreline.  If caught, violators could be required to appear before a U. S. Magistrate in Federal Court.

If you see someone operating a vehicle off authorized roadways on public property, please notify the Corps at 501-362-2416.  Try to obtain a license number or vehicle description, but do not try to apprehend or confront the person.  The government will prosecute these acts to the full extent of the law.

If you have questions about the use of government property, call or stop by the Greers Ferry Project Office. The number is (501) 362-2416. Or stop by the office located near the dam on Hwy 25. Information is also available on the Internet at