Fans react to Coach Steve Roberts' Resignation - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Fans react to Coach Steve Roberts' Resignation

By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - "I did not know that he was resigning so it's kind of a shock to me and I hate to hear it," said ASU fan, Diane Romines.

"I wasn't real surprised, I think it's something that has  kind of been coming for a little while now," said Cody Wineland.

News of Coach Steve Roberts' resignation spread like wildfire and it didn't take long for people to sound off.

"I think it was time for a change," said Wineland.

"I think it's a loss anytime you have someone growing with the program because there's a lot to learn and everyday you can learn things," said Romines.

Fans of Region 8 news on Facebook were lighting up our page with comments about Monday afternoon's announcement.

"I like Coach Roberts, but, I do believe it's time for him to move on in his career and ASU to move on to a new coach.   I wish Coach Roberts all the luck in the world," said ASU fan Jay Paul Woods.

"Bad mistake ASU.  This alum supports the job he has done.   Who the heck do you plan to get that will do better?," said ASU alumni, Joy Murphy.

"I think it might be a good thing to get someone new in and hopefully they will lead us to a winning season," said ASU fan, Lisa Nickerson.

Speaking of someone new, talk quickly turned to who some fans would like to see call the plays next season for the Red Wolves.

"The new coach needs to be Hugh Freeze.   The most exciting thing about the team this year was the offense of coach Freeze and he deserves a chance to hire his own defensive coach for next season," said Wayne Smith.

"I'd like to see Gus Malzahn but I don't know if we could afford him or not," said Wineland.

©2010 KAIT.  All rights reserved.

Bike trail will soon be finished

Friday, June 22 2018 5:31 PM EDT2018-06-22 21:31:33 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 7:17 PM EDT2018-06-22 23:17:36 GMT
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)

The Bike and Walking Trail will soon be finished, connecting the city from one side of town to the other.

Supreme Court ruling on online sales taxes draws interest

Friday, June 22 2018 5:58 PM EDT2018-06-22 21:58:12 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 7:14 PM EDT2018-06-22 23:14:18 GMT
    The U.S. Supreme Court ruled this week that states and cities can collect sales tax from online purchases. (Source: KAIT-TV)The U.S. Supreme Court ruled this week that states and cities can collect sales tax from online purchases. (Source: KAIT-TV)

Region 8 reacts to the Supreme Courts ruling on online sales tax.

Region 8 reacts to the Supreme Courts ruling on online sales tax.

Residents to vote on sales tax for hospital

Friday, June 22 2018 6:05 PM EDT2018-06-22 22:05:37 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 6:36 PM EDT2018-06-22 22:36:48 GMT

In July, Piggott residents will vote on whether to keep a sales tax dedicated to helping fund the Piggott community hospital.