Fans react to Coach Steve Roberts' Resignation - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Fans react to Coach Steve Roberts' Resignation

By Lauren Payne - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - "I did not know that he was resigning so it's kind of a shock to me and I hate to hear it," said ASU fan, Diane Romines.

"I wasn't real surprised, I think it's something that has  kind of been coming for a little while now," said Cody Wineland.

News of Coach Steve Roberts' resignation spread like wildfire and it didn't take long for people to sound off.

"I think it was time for a change," said Wineland.

"I think it's a loss anytime you have someone growing with the program because there's a lot to learn and everyday you can learn things," said Romines.

Fans of Region 8 news on Facebook were lighting up our page with comments about Monday afternoon's announcement.

"I like Coach Roberts, but, I do believe it's time for him to move on in his career and ASU to move on to a new coach.   I wish Coach Roberts all the luck in the world," said ASU fan Jay Paul Woods.

"Bad mistake ASU.  This alum supports the job he has done.   Who the heck do you plan to get that will do better?," said ASU alumni, Joy Murphy.

"I think it might be a good thing to get someone new in and hopefully they will lead us to a winning season," said ASU fan, Lisa Nickerson.

Speaking of someone new, talk quickly turned to who some fans would like to see call the plays next season for the Red Wolves.

"The new coach needs to be Hugh Freeze.   The most exciting thing about the team this year was the offense of coach Freeze and he deserves a chance to hire his own defensive coach for next season," said Wayne Smith.

"I'd like to see Gus Malzahn but I don't know if we could afford him or not," said Wineland.

©2010 KAIT.  All rights reserved.

Restaurants benefit after Thanksgiving despite leftovers

Friday, November 24 2017 6:44 PM EST2017-11-24 23:44:14 GMT
    Friday, November 24 2017 6:54 PM EST2017-11-24 23:54:06 GMT

Retail stores are not the only establishments benefiting from Black Friday sales. Restaurants also see an increase in business.

Residents hit the gym after Thanksgiving

Friday, November 24 2017 6:25 PM EST2017-11-24 23:25:32 GMT
    Friday, November 24 2017 6:47 PM EST2017-11-24 23:47:03 GMT

When families are finished with their Thanksgiving meals, some tend to exercise the extra calories off immediately which means good business for local gyms.

Agape House collects toys for Christmas

Friday, November 24 2017 6:12 PM EST2017-11-24 23:12:16 GMT
    Friday, November 24 2017 6:37 PM EST2017-11-24 23:37:16 GMT

The Agape House held a toy drive in Jonesboro and Paragould Friday so their children can receive a gift from their mom.