Miss Arkansas takes first runner up in Miss America Pageant - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Miss Arkansas takes first runner up in Miss America Pageant

By Amanda Hanson - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Last night's 2011 Miss America Pageant had residents in Arkansas on the edge of their seats, especially Savannah Nall. "I was really rooting for Alyse because I met her at a pageant I'd done before," says Nall.

This year's Miss Arkansas Alyse Eady is from Fort Smith Arkansas, and last night she made her state proud. "I think she did really well. I think she was a good representative of the state," says citizen Ashley Worcestor.

Eady's talent blew folks away. She performed a singing ventriloquist act to "Cowboy Sweet Heart."

"I've never seen it done, and I've never seen anybody sing or yodel with two puppets. I was so happy for her because she had made it to the top five. Then she made the top two. I was nervous. We were all sitting around with our fingers crossed," says Nall.

But, the crown went to seventeen year old Teresa Scanlan, the youngest Miss America in eighty-nine years.

"I really thought Miss Arkansas did really good this year. I think she deserved to win actually," says Worcestor.

"I really liked her talent. She did a really great job, and I was really wishing she would win," says citizen Crystal Donnell.

"I mean she was beautiful on stage. She had good presence, elegance, and then her interview question I think that's what kind of threw her off at the end," says Nall.

Twenty-two year old Alyse Eady, took first runner up winning a 25,000 dollar scholarship, and will take over the position of Miss America if Scanlan cannot fulfill her duties.

Copyright 2011 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Lake City officials take wait and see approach on flooding

Friday, February 23 2018 11:11 PM EST2018-02-24 04:11:18 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 11:42 PM EST2018-02-24 04:42:04 GMT
    A truck moves slowly Friday in Lake City as the town awaits any problems from flooding. (Source: KAIT-TV)A truck moves slowly Friday in Lake City as the town awaits any problems from flooding. (Source: KAIT-TV)

Heavy rains have impacted areas throughout Northeast Arkansas while officials in Lake City said Friday they are doing fine after a much-needed break in the rain.

Father reunited with son's stolen ashes

Friday, February 23 2018 11:35 PM EST2018-02-24 04:35:16 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 11:40 PM EST2018-02-24 04:40:20 GMT

The Peevey family can now rest after two people confessed to destroying their loved one’s final resting place and stealing his ashes.

A Family for Me: Alex

Friday, February 23 2018 9:08 PM EST2018-02-24 02:08:56 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 10:49 PM EST2018-02-24 03:49:43 GMT
    10-year-old Alex is looking for a home. (Source: KAIT-TV)10-year-old Alex is looking for a home. (Source: KAIT-TV)

This week, Region 8 News' Ryan Vaughan had the opportunity to talk with 10-year-old Alex.