BOCA RATON, Fla. (2/13/11) — The Arkansas State women's tennis team
improved to 2-1 on the season with a 5-2 win over the Florida Atlantic
Owls (1-5) Sunday afternoon in Boca Raton, Fla.
"We played much better today," said ASU head coach Marcia Williams.
"I am relieved that the girls were able to correct some things so we
could come away with a win this weekend."
The Red Wolves took the doubles point, winning at both the No. 1 and
No. 2 spots. The ASU team of Emily Crowe and Ioana Teu topped Justine
Humair and Natasha Basma 8-0 in the top spot, while A-State freshmen
Janie Nowland and Biljana Miloshevska defeated Natasha Phillips and
Erika Mrazkova 8-3 at No. 2.
Arkansas State took four singles matches on the day. Crowe won in
straight sets 6-3, 6-4 over Humair at No. 1, and senior Jenny Herring
picked up a 6-1, 7-6 (7-4) victory over Basma at No. 3. Teu topped
Virginia Augustin 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4, and Miloshevska rounded out the
ASU wins, downing Mrazkova 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5.
The A-State squad will be back in action Feb. 19 when it travels to
Lafayette, La. for an 11:00 a.m. contest with the Ragin' Cajuns of
1. Emily Crowe (ASU) def. Humair, Justine (FAU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Ryan, Marlene (FAU) def. Janie Nowland (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jenny Herring (ASU) def. Basma, Natasha (FAU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Ioana Teu (ASU) def. Augustin, Virginia (FAU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Biljana Miloshevska (ASU) def. Mrazkova, Erika (FAU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Phillips, Natasha (FAU) def. Ceara Howey (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Emily Crowe/Ioana Teu (ASU) def. Humair, Justine/Basma, Natasha (FAU) 8-0
2. Biljana Miloshevska/Janie Nowland (ASU) def. Phillips,
Natasha/Mrazkova, Erika (FAU) 8-3
3. Bergeson, Cassie/Ryan, Marlene (FAU) def. Jenny Herring/Ceara Howey (ASU) 8-4