Emergency department team up to promote child safety - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Emergency department team up to promote child safety

By Amanda Hanson - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The Jonesboro Police Department, D.A.R.E Officers, E-911, East Arkansas Broadcasting, and Animal Control officers teamed up Saturday to promote child safety.

Parents brought out their kids to get their picture taken and their hands dirty as part of free Child I.D. and Finger Printing Day. They took advantage of an event that can make parents more prepared in case the unthinkable should happen.

Emergency departments came together Saturday for the first Child I.D. and Finger Printing Day. Finger printing kids as young as one year's old. E-911 Director Jeff Pressley says it's something that can help police locate a missing child.

"If that child gets lost you have this I.D with you with a photo and finger prints. You're ready to give that to a police officer and they can get a positive I.D. It's a insurance policy for your child," said Pressley and a good thing to have.

"It will help protect your children," says mother Shaunaree Mayo, who came out Saturday to get her children's fingers stamped and photo I.D. taken. It's something that can help equip children with the necessary tools incase of an emergency. Something Mayo was eager to take advantage off, after an event that happened when she was a child.

"I was told when I was thirteen that I was adopted, but when I was 25 I found out that I had been kidnapped. I was lucky they didn't want to harm me. They just wanted me," said Mayo. But it's a situation that has changed her life, and now with children of her own, she says it's important to be prepared.

"It's just very emotional and you really need to get the finger prints done because it could happen to your kids," said Mayo.

Jeff Pressley said they had a great turn out, and hope to reach out to parents about child safety.

Copyright 2011 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Pharmacy break-in suspect still at large after high-speed chase

Monday, November 20 2017 4:33 PM EST2017-11-20 21:33:54 GMT
    Monday, November 20 2017 11:16 PM EST2017-11-21 04:16:24 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

A Newport pharmacy break-in led to a high-speed chase with officers across two counties. It happened at Darlings Pharmacy around 3:50 a.m. according to a Newport police incident report.

Can Mallory still pass the driver's test?

Monday, November 20 2017 8:54 AM EST2017-11-20 13:54:09 GMT
    Monday, November 20 2017 10:55 PM EST2017-11-21 03:55:43 GMT

If you had to retake your driver’s exam, could you pass? How long has it been since you tested your skills behind the wheel and on paper?

Randolph Co. to hire another jailer

Monday, November 20 2017 8:26 PM EST2017-11-21 01:26:09 GMT
    Monday, November 20 2017 9:50 PM EST2017-11-21 02:50:35 GMT
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)

The Randolph County Detention Center is adding another jailer to their staff thanks to approval from the Randolph County Quorum Court.