Families of Cleveland Strangler victims present petition to the prosecution - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Families of Cleveland Strangler victims present petition to the prosecution

Families of the Cleveland Strangler's victims have signed a petition which urges the prosecutor to accept a guilty plea with life in prison for Anthony Sowell.

The petition was presented to Prosecutor's office shortly after noon on Thursday.

Eight of the eleven families have signed the petition. The other families are steadfast in their desire for a death sentence for Sowell. The plea would remove the death penalty for the accused serial killer.

The bodies of eleven women were found in and around Sowell's Imperial Avenue home in 2009.

PETITION TO THE PROSECUTOR TO ACCEPT DEFENDANT ANTHONY SOWELL'S GUILTY PLEA WITH A SENTENCE OF LIFE IMPRISONMENT WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE

We, the family members of the victims of the Imperial Avenue Murders, hereby petition to the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's office to accept the guilty pleas of Anthony Sowell with a sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

We do not want to endure a trial. We do not want to be witnesses to a media spectacle where our loved ones' lives and the details of the horrendous criminal acts inflicted upon them are spotlighted. We do not believe a costly and lengthy trial, with millions of dollars spent on multiple appeals, would deliver any degree of comfort or closure.

We are aware that likely appeals could make this case drag on for years or even decades to come. The death penalty for Anthony Sowell is not necessary, or even desirable, in comparison to the grief we families will continue to suffer under the realities and uncertainties of the criminal justice system.

We feel that our voices have not been heard as victims' families. A prolonged trial and re-enactment of Sowell's demented actions will create great distress on the families of the victims. Also, some closure and a measure of justice would be achieved by physically being present and witnessing Anthony Sowell stand before the Court and community and acknowledge his guilt to all these murders, as well as to the victimization of others who survived.

We, therefore, request that Prosecutor Bill Mason reconsider his stance rejecting Anthony Sowell's plea offer in this case and respect our wishes as victims.

Copyright 2011 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Walnut Ridge Police Chief, officer on administrative leave

    Walnut Ridge Police Chief, officer on administrative leave

    Friday, April 20 2018 10:03 PM EDT2018-04-21 02:03:48 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 12:48 PM EDT2018-04-21 16:48:27 GMT

    According to Walnut Ridge City Attorney Nancy L. Hall, Walnut Ridge Police Chief Chris Kirksey and Sgt. Matt Cook have been placed on administrative leave. 

    According to Walnut Ridge City Attorney Nancy L. Hall, Walnut Ridge Police Chief Chris Kirksey and Sgt. Matt Cook have been placed on administrative leave. 

  • Man arrested in Poplar Bluff burglary case

    Man arrested in Poplar Bluff burglary case

    Saturday, April 21 2018 12:45 PM EDT2018-04-21 16:45:49 GMT
    Michael Wayne Harris (Source: Poplar Bluff Police Department)Michael Wayne Harris (Source: Poplar Bluff Police Department)
    Michael Wayne Harris (Source: Poplar Bluff Police Department)Michael Wayne Harris (Source: Poplar Bluff Police Department)

    A Missouri man told police that he had been under the influence of meth and had not slept for several days when police arrested him in connection with a burglary Friday, authorities said Saturday.

    A Missouri man told police that he had been under the influence of meth and had not slept for several days when police arrested him in connection with a burglary Friday, authorities said Saturday.

  • Manila turns up the heat for first ever event

    Manila turns up the heat for first ever event

    Saturday, April 21 2018 10:11 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:11:59 GMT
    Twelve BBQ groups are lined up to cook for the competition. (Source: Blaz'in BBQ Festival)Twelve BBQ groups are lined up to cook for the competition. (Source: Blaz'in BBQ Festival)
    Twelve BBQ groups are lined up to cook for the competition. (Source: Blaz'in BBQ Festival)Twelve BBQ groups are lined up to cook for the competition. (Source: Blaz'in BBQ Festival)

    Blaz'in BBQ Festival creates excitement for the town of Manila, as orchestrated by the organization, "Moving Manila Forward." 

    Blaz'in BBQ Festival creates excitement for the town of Manila, as orchestrated by the organization, "Moving Manila Forward." 

Powered by Frankly