Emergency funding available to farmers, ranchers from Spring flood

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The Craighead County USDA Farm Service Agency announced emergency funding for farmers and ranchers from this Spring's flood damage.

Farms or ranches that suffered severe damage from flooding can apply for the Emergency Conservation Program from August 1, 2011 to August 30, 2011.  According to county executive director Larry Ladd, farms or ranches may be eligible for assistance if the damage will be so costly to rehabilitate that federal assistance is or will be needed to return the land to productive agricultural use; is unusual and is not the type that would recur frequently in the same area; affects the productive capacity of the farmland; or will impair or endanger the land.

According to Ladd, a producer qualifying for this assistance may receive cost-share level not to exceed 75% of the eligible cost of restoration measures.  Restoration may include removing debris from farmland or grading, shaping, re-leveling, or similar measures to the land.  No farm or ranch may receive more than $200,000 for this disaster.

For more information, contact The Craighead County Farm Service Agency Center at 870-972-4671, extension 2.  The office is located at 3407 S. Caraway Road, Jonesboro.  On the web:  www.fsa.usda.gov.

Copyright 2011 KAIT.  All rights reserved.