A fun family barbeque can quickly turn into a tragedy if you forget to turn off the propane. One family lost everything this summer when a leak from their grill's propane tank sparked a fire that destroyed their home in Sunset Harbor, N. C. All five family members were able to get out of the house after hearing the first of two explosions, but their home and everything in it was unsalvageable.
Fire Chief John Eeten of North Carolina said he has seen four other fires over the course of his career started by propane tanks that were not turned off. He says it's important for people to read the manual and understand how to use their grills safely. More people use grills in the summer when there are dry conditions, which increases the risk of fires.
Eeten said many people are unaware that you're supposed to turn off the valve on the propane tank before you turn off the knobs on your grill. He says this keeps the line clean and helps prevent it from becoming clogged.
These other tips from the Home Safety Council may come in handy this grilling season:
Copyright 2011 America Now. All rights reserved.