From the Southeastern Conference
SEC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK FOR GAMES OF SEPT. 1-3
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Wide Receiver / Return Specialist
5-11 • 190 • Sr. • Little Rock, Ark.
• Adams tied an SEC record with two punt returns for touchdowns in Arkansas' 51-7 win over Missouri State. The last SEC player to accomplish the feat was Kentucky's Derek Abney against Mississippi State in 2002.
• Adams' touchdowns were from 61 (first quarter) and 69 yards (third quarter). He now has three touchdowns on punt returns in his career.
• For the game, Adams had a school-record 174 yards on six punt returns and also caught an 11-yard pass.
• Adams leads the SEC and is fourth in the nation in punt return average (29.0 per return).
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
5-11 • 220 • Sr. • Pascagoula, Miss.
• Ballard rushed for a career-best 166 yards and three touchdowns in Mississippi State's 59-14 win at Memphis.
• Ballard scored three touchdowns for the fifth time in his 13 career games at State.
• His touchdown runs were for 46, 66 and 1 yard.
• Ballard paced a Bulldog rushing attack that finished with 309 yards rushing against the Tigers.
• Ballard leads the SEC and is fifth in the nation in rushing, averaging 166 yards per game.
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
5-9 • 175 • So. • New Orleans, La.
• Mathieu had a team-high 10 total tackles with a forced fumble, two pass breakups and a tackle for loss in LSU's 40-27 win against Oregon.
• Scored a touchdown after forcing and then returning fumble 3-yards on punt coverage in the second quarter, giving the Tigers a 9-6 lead.
• Played every defensive snap (82 plays) as LSU limited Oregon to 335 total yards and only 95 rushing yards.
• Mathieu also returned three punts for a total of 26 yards, including a long of 15 yards.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-4 • 340 • Sr. • Fairburn, Ga.
• Watkins started at right tackle for the first time in his career after playing guard in 2010 and helped South Carolina to a 56-37 win against East Carolina.
• The Gamecock offense generated 351 yards of total offense against the Pirates. Carolina had just one lost yardage play on 65 plays.
• Watkins graded out at 87 percent with eight knockdowns, four pancakes, no sacks and no quarterback pressures allowed against ECU.
SEC Co-DEFENSIVE LINEMEN OF THE WEEK
6-3 • 295 • Sr. • Apopka, Fla.
• Howard dominated line of scrimmage for Gators in 41-3 win against Florida Atlantic. He had four tackles, 1.5 for losses and a 12-yard sack. The Gators gave up just 30 rushing yards to FAU on 30 attempts.
6-1 • 264 • Sr. • Louisville, Ky.
• McDermott had four tackles including a five-yard sack in Kentucky's 14-3 win against Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers had just 234 total yards in the game.
SEC Co-FRESHMEN OF THE WEEK
6-2 • 242 • Springfield, Ohio
• Depriest led the Crimson Tide with 10 total tackles, 0.5 for loss and aquarterback pressure in Alabama's 48-7 against Kent State. The Tide defense held Kent State to 90 total yards, including -9 on the ground.
Running Back/Return Specialist
5-10 • 190 • Lake Worth, Fla.
• Had 176 kickoff return yards on four returns, including 97-yarder for touchdown, in Auburn's 42-38 win over Utah State. Return yardage is tied for third in school history.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES IN WEEK 1
WR/RS MARQUIS MAZE (Alabama) -- Totaled 253 all-purpose yards against Kent State including 118 on eight catches, 96 yards on eight punt returns and 39 yards on a kickoff return.
QB TYLER WILSON (Arkansas) -- In first career start, completed 18-of-24 passes for 260 yards and two touchdowns against Missouri State.
WR TRAVANTE STALLWORTH (Auburn) -- Had four catches for 93 yards and a touchdown against Utah State.
RB CHRIS RAINEY (Florida) -- Scored three touchdowns, all different ways - 14-yard rushing TD, 22-yard blocked punt return for TD and 14-yard receiving TD - against Florida Atlantic.
TE ORSON CHARLES (Georgia) -- Had six catches for career-high 109 yards and a touchdown against Boise State.
SAF/LB WINSTON GUY (Kentucky) -- Had 10 tackles, including 2.5 for losses and two interceptions against Western Kentucky.
DB CHARLES SAWYER (Ole Miss) -- Returned interception 96 yards for a touchdown and had seven tackles against Brigham Young.
DB MARVIN BURE (Mississippi State) -- Posted five tackles on kickoff coverage as Bulldogs held Memphis to just 17 yards per return on 10 kickoffs.
QB STEPHEN GARCIA (South Carolina) -- Came off bench against East Carolina and accounted for three touchdowns - two on the ground and one through the air.
QB TYLER BRAY (Tennessee) -- Completed 17-of-24 passes for 293 yards and three touchdowns against Montana.
LB DARYL VEREEN (Tennessee) -- Led the Vols with a career-high and team-best six tackles against Montana.