From the Sun Belt Conference
Nikki Crocco of North Texas has been named the Sun Belt Conference Women's Soccer Player of the Week, the league office announced on Tuesday.
Crocco scored both goals, including the 87th minute winner, for North Texas against the 8th-ranked team in the Central Region, SMU, as the Mean Green beat their rivals for the first time since 2005 on Friday night. Crocco headed in a free kick in the 53rd minute to give North Texas its first lead, then stole the ball from the SMU keeper with 3:07 remaining and put it away to break the 1-1 tie and give North Texas the victory.
It was the first game winner in the last ten minutes of regulation for NT since 2009. Crocco's two goals gave her two straight multi-goal games. The senior has scored five of NT's last six goals after the SMU game.
All three of Crocco's shots this week were on goal, and two of her three shots ended up in the net.
Crocco helped keep North Texas unbeaten through its first five games, marking only the second time in school history and the first time since 2007 this has occurred.
This weekend the Mean Green will look to keep their unbeaten streak alive when they take on Sam Houston at home before traveling to Waco, Texas for a matchup with the Baylor Bears.
AROUND THE LEAGUE
· North Texas is unbeaten through five games for only the second time in school history and the first time since 2007.
· Senior Nikki Crocco scored both goals, including the 87th minute winner, for North Texas against the 8th-ranked team in the Central Region, SMU, as the Mean Green beat their rivals for the first time since 2005.
· Florida Atlantic rebounded from its first loss of the season to record season-highs with four goals and 28 shots during Sunday's 4-0 home victory over UMKC.
· Louisiana-Lafayette's Ragin' Cajuns currently sit at 3-1-1 after their first five matches. This is the best five-game start in the history of the program.
· Middle Tennessee faced a pair of in-state foes this past week, starting with No. 23 Tennessee on the road Friday before returning home to battle UT-Martin Sunday. The Blue Raiders held the nationally-ranked Lady Vols scoreless for over 81 minutes before giving up a pair of goals late in the loss. Heavy rains slowed down the Middle Tennessee offensive attack Sunday, as the Skyhawks slipped in a goal to decide the final outcome.
· Senior forward Brandi Smith led South Alabama to their second and third consecutive shutouts of the season this past weekend with game-winning goals against Alcorn State and Nicholls State.
· Troy claimed the overall Trojan Classic tournament title this weekend with victories over Nicholls State (1-0) on Friday and a win over Alcorn State (7-0) on Sunday.