From the Big 12 Conference
The Big 12's nine volleyball squads are a combined 50-9 after the first two weeks of the season, including a 26-5 record last week. Iowa State (7-0), Texas A&M (7-0) and Kansas (6-0) are undefeated. Seven Big 12 squads are either undefeated or have just one loss.
• Iowa State, Oklahoma and Texas remain ranked in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Preseason Top 25 poll. The Longhorns round out the top 10 at No. 10. Iowa State checks in at No. 17 and Oklahoma sits at No. 18. Missouri and Texas A&M are receiving votes. The Big 12 is one of three conferences that boasts three or more squads in the poll.
• Iowa State knocked off No. 7 Florida Monday afternoon in Gainesville, 3-2. Kansas and Texas face-off with a pair of ranked foes this weekend as KU takes on No. 15 Northern Iowa and No. 6 Minnesota in the Northern Iowa Invitational. Texas will play No. 7 Florida and then either No. 3 Stanford or No. 2 Penn State in the Nike Big Four Volleyball Classic in Palo Alto, Calif.
• In addition to KU and UT's four combined matches against ranked opponents, Big 12 teams will square off in 25 matches this week.
• Five conference teams won their tournaments over the weekend, including the second-straight for Kansas (Jayhawk Invitational), Missouri (Middle Tennessee Blue Raider Bash) and Texas A&M (Portland Nike Invitational). Baylor (Fairfield Inn North Baylor Classic) and Texas Tech (Texas Tech Invitational). ISU is the only team not competing in a tournament this upcoming weekend.
• For the second week in a row, Missouri claimed two weekly awards, as Brittney Brimmage and Emily Wilson were named the Offensive Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week, respectively. The Tigers have earned two of the three weekly conference honors in five of the past seven weeks dating back to last season. Texas Tech's Aubree Piper was named the Defensive Player of the Week, the first Red Raider to earn a weekly distinction since 2008.
• Texas Tech's 5-1 record marks the program's best start since the 2003 squad rallied off eight-straight wins to start the season. The five-game TTU win streak is also its longest since 2006.
• Kansas State head coach Suzie Fritz will record her 200th win as a head coach and at KSU. Fritz enters the week with a 199-119 record in 11 season at the helm of the Wildcats' program. K-State plays Missouri State on Thursday night.