From the Great American Conference
Southern Arkansas running back Mark Johnson, Henderson State linebacker Keaton Stigger and Arkansas Tech punter Jake Denzer are the Great American Conference Football Players of the Week.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK (9/12/2011)
Southern Arkansas junior running back Mark Johnson has been named the Great American Conference Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts in SAU's 31-22 conference road win over Southwestern Oklahoma State this past Saturday. The Longview, Texas native carried the ball 20 times for 127 yards in the win for an average of 6.3 yards per rush. Johnson crossed the goal line with 5:28 remaining in the third quarter on a 18-yard scamper to give the Muleriders a 17-16 lead, and later cushioned that lead with a four-yard touchdown run at the 10:46 mark of the fourth quarter to put SAU on top 24-16.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK (9/12/2011)
Henderson State sophomore linebacker Keaton Stigger has been named the Great American Conference Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts in HSU's 35-21 conference road win over Harding this past Saturday. The Collierville, Tenn. native totaled nine tackles in the win, but his performance was highlighted by a 16-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown as time expired in the first half to give the Reddies a 20-14 lead going into the locker room. That score was one of two HSU fumble returns for touchdowns in the contest.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK (9/12/2011)
Arkansas Tech senior punter Jake Denzer has been named the Great American Conference Special Teams Player of the Week for his efforts in ATU's 31-20 non-conference road win over Southwest Baptist this past Saturday. The Elkins, Ark. native recorded six punts for a total of 246 yards in the win, including a 72-yard punt and two punts downed inside the SBU 20-yard line. The 72-yard punt was the longest for the Wonder Boys since the 2007 season.
- Logan Turner, SR, QB, Southeastern Oklahoma State (23-of-36, 235 Yards, 3 TD in a 30-23 win over Central Okla.)
- Roger Jackson, JR, WR, Arkansas Tech (3 Receptions for 90 Yards and 2 TD in a 31-20 win over Southwest Bapt.)
- Kale Gelles, SR, FB, Harding (20 Carries, 159 Yards, 1 TD in a 35-21 loss to Henderson St.)
- Brett Reece, JR, WR, Ouachita Baptist (5 Receptions, 121 Yards, 1 TD in a 31-18 win over East Central)
- Dennis Stratton, JR, DE, Ouachita Baptist (8 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble in a 31-18 win over East Central)
- Greg Wilson, SR, LB, Arkansas-Monticello (2 INT Returns for Touchdowns, 10 Tackles in a 41-0 win over Texas College)
- Luke Landsell, FR, LB, Southern Arkansas (7 Tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 Sack in a 31-22 win over Southwestern Okla. St.)
- Josh Aldridge, JR, DE, Harding (6 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 Forced Fumble in a 35-21 loss to Henderson St.)
- Christian Latoof, FR, P, Henderson State (9 Punts for 353 Yards, 2 inside opponent 20-yard line in a 35-21 win over Harding)