From Harding University
The Harding football team plays the first of five straight non-conference games Thursday as the Bisons host the Shepherd Tech Eagles for the first-ever meeting between the two teams. Kickoff at First Security Stadium is at 7 p.m.
Harding enters the game 1-1 after falling 35-21 to Henderson State on Saturday in Searcy. The Reddies converted four Bison fumbles into 28 points and won despite managing only 189 total yards, including 16 rushing yards.
- Harding enters the game ranked first in the Great American Conference and second in Division II with 385.0 rushing yards per game. Senior fullback Kale Gelles ranks second in the GAC and sixth in Division II with 165.0 rushing yards per game.
- Harding has four of the top 10 rushers in the GAC.
- Gelles rushed for 159 yards vs. Henderson State and moved into 12th in career rushing at Harding with 1,581 yards. He needs 109 rushing yards to move into Harding career top 10.
- Harding starting quarterback Chaz Rogers leads the GAC in passing efficiency at 247.8. He has completed 3-of-6 passes for 102 yards and one touchdown.
- Harding sophomore left tackle Jeremiah Vivio has been the Bisons' top offensive lineman through two games according to the coaches' post-game film grades. Vivio has received a "+" grade on 89% of his snaps.
- Harding leads the GAC and ranks ninth in Division II in total defense, allowing only 214.5 yards per game. The Bisons are also tops in the conference in sacks with eight through two games.
- Harding has held its opponents to only 21.4% conversions on third down, the best percentage in the GAC and 10th in Division II.
- Harding has punted nine times this season and has yet to have an opponent attempt to return the punt.
- Shepherd Tech is a member of the Association of Christian College Athletics and is located in Memphis, Tenn. The Eagles are in their third season as a football program.