Meet October's Teacher of the Month - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Meet October's Teacher of the Month

By Keith Boles - bio | email feedback

HOXIE, ARKANSAS (KAIT) --Being a teacher can often be a thankless, tough job. But to your children you know how special they are. Each month during the school year we salute a special teacher that you have selected, as we search for the Teacher of the Year.

October's teacher, Amy Barnhill  is from Hoxie and teaches in the elementary school she attended as a child.

"You know the kids have a lot to learn, the kids have a lot to learn in a year. And there's a lot of pressure on teachers and there's a lot of pressure on the kids." says Barnhill as she worked with her students on phonics.

Barnhill has been teaching for 13 years, not a long time, but not a short time either. I asked, "What has been your greatest challenge as a teacher?"

Barnhill, "I guess you could call me a worrier. But that's probably the most challenging part; Just knowing what I do for my kids is the right thing."

This year her class is small with only 14 students but even that few can be a handful sometimes Barnhill says. Activities and lessons move fast. Using Smart technology instead of chalk boards the students work on word problems then with a flick of the wrist they move on to the next one.

Amy says she's laid back in her style but that doesn't mean the kids run wild.

"I tell them up front that this is way that this is the way our day is going to be. And these are the things you can or can't do."

Back in the day, third grade was a lot of fun. "Can you compare your third grade experience to now?" I asked .

Barnhill, "I think the curriculum is harder and I think there is more responsibility on children now. Accountability on state tests create a lot more pressure on teachers now a days. We also have schedules we have to stay on and the frameworks that we have to teach. So I try to do my best to have fun with the kids but still get everything accomplished. "

Nobody ever has said that teaching is an easy career. I asked Amy to describe the best part about teaching.

Barnhill, "I think people probably think it's a cliche but I think just the children, being with the children working with kids and working with parents."

After a busy morning, the kids trooped out of the room for music. Barnhill took a moment to reflect about her job.

"I love my job. I love, I love coming every day for the kids I love seeing them."

If you would like to nominate your favorite teacher, go to our website K-A-I-T 8 dot com.

Scroll down to the middle of the page and click on the Teacher of the Year link and fill out the form.

COPYRIGHT 2011 KAIT All rights reserved.

Letter sent home to parents after death of Corning High School students

Monday, August 20 2018 9:37 PM EDT2018-08-21 01:37:27 GMT
    Monday, August 20 2018 9:52 PM EDT2018-08-21 01:52:33 GMT
    Letter sent home to Corning High School parents reguarding the deaths of two students (Source: Corning High School via Facebook)Letter sent home to Corning High School parents reguarding the deaths of two students (Source: Corning High School via Facebook)

Due to the death’s of two high school students at Corning High School, a plan has been set in place to help students and staff grieve.

A Better Region 8: Keeping yourself safe from crime

Monday, August 20 2018 8:13 PM EDT2018-08-21 00:13:24 GMT
    Monday, August 20 2018 9:09 PM EDT2018-08-21 01:09:26 GMT
    A Better Region 8 (Source: KAIT)A Better Region 8 (Source: KAIT)
    A Better Region 8 (Source: KAIT)A Better Region 8 (Source: KAIT)

Arkansas State University is handing out fobs with safety information to students.

Randolph County planning for new health department

Monday, August 20 2018 7:42 PM EDT2018-08-20 23:42:11 GMT
    Monday, August 20 2018 9:04 PM EDT2018-08-21 01:04:55 GMT
    Current Randolph County Health Department building. (Source: KAIT)Current Randolph County Health Department building. (Source: KAIT)

Randolph County plans to begin building a new health department soon.

Randolph County plans to begin building a new health department soon.