From the Southeastern Conference
SEC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (Games of Oct. 22, 2011)
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
5-9 • 213 • Jr. • Texarkana, Ark.
• Johnson helped guide Arkansas to 29-24 victory at Ole Miss with 15 carries for 160 yards (10.7 yards per carry) and one rushing touchdown. He also had a pair of catches for 14 yards.
• Johnson's 160 rushing yards were a career-high and were the most by a Razorback this season.
• Trailing 17-0 in the second quarter, Johnson started the Razorback comeback with a career-long 52-yard touchdown carry on a third and 14 draw play.
• Johnson also played a part in setting up Arkansas' final scoring play of the day as he had four consecutive carries for 44 yards to set up a Zach Hocker field goal that pushed the Arkansas lead to 29-17.
• In the second half, Johnson carried the ball 13 times for 109 yards.
• Six of Johnson's carries went for first downs (40 pct). He had six carries of 10+ yards, three for 15+ and 2 of 25+.
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
6-4 • 260 • Jr. • Lewisburg, Tenn.
• Hightower totaled seven tackles with a sack, one interception, two pass break-ups and three QB hurries in Alabama's 37-6 win over Tennessee.
• He returned the interception 29 yards to the UT 9-yard line to set up Alabama's final touchdown.
• Alabama's defense gave up six total first downs, 155 yards (92 rush, 63 pass) and just two third down conversions on 14 Vol attempts.
• Alabama held the Vols scoreless in the second half and allowed just 41 total yards (0 first downs) in the final 30 minutes.
• Tennessee was held without first downs on 10 of 12 offensive possessions.
• Alabama ranks first nationally in all four major defensive categories (rush, pass effic, total and scoring).
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
6-3 • 184 • Fr. • Melbourne, Australia
• Wing punted four times with a 51.2 average in LSU's 45-10 win over Auburn.
• Three of Wing's four punts were downed inside the 20-yard line. For the season, Wing has had 15 of his 31 punts downed inside the 20, the second highest percentage (48.39) in the SEC.
• Auburn had an average starting field position of its own 18-yard line on Wing's four punts.
• Wing's 44.42 average leads all freshman punters in the nation while LSU is sixth in the nation in net punting, with a 43.89 average.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-5 • 300 • Jr. • Kingsland, Ga.
• Seymour anchored a Vanderbilt offensive line effort that helped produce more than 500 total yards and one of the best rushing performances in team history in a 44-21 victory over Army.
• Starting at left guard for just the third game after earlier starts at both tackle positions, Seymour had seven knockdown blocks as the Commodores rushed for a season-high 344 yards and produced 530 yards, including 198 rushing yards by Zac Stacy.
• Pulling from the guard slot, Seymour had five blocks that led to touchdowns or first downs.
• Seymour and the Vanderbilt line did not allow a quarterback sack by the Army defense and helped Vanderbilt own an eight-minute advantage in time of possession over the Cadets.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-5 • 240 • So. • West Monroe, La.
• Mingo had four tackles with two sacks totaling 21 yards and a quarterback hurry in losses in LSU's 45-10 win over Auburn.
• He led a defense that registered six sacks and ten tackles for losses against Auburn.
• Both of Mingo's sacks were in the first quarter. His first sack came on a 3rd-and-2 for a six yard loss.
• Mingo's second sack came on a 2nd-and-goal from the LSU 9-yard line for minus 15 yards and forced Auburn to kick a field goal.
• For the season, Mingo has 19 total tackles (10 solos) with 7.5 for losses (-48 yards), including four sacks (-34 yards).
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
6-3 • 245 • Gainesville, Ga.
• Johnson had a game-high 13 total tackles (five solos) with 1.5 for losses in Tennessee's 37-6 loss at Alabama.
• The Vol defense held Alabama to six first downs and 157 yards in the first half.
• He had seven of his tackles in the first half and six in the second.
• Johnson leads all SEC freshmen with 45 total tackles this season (18 solos) with 3.5 for losses and a forced fumble.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 8
OG ALFRED McCULLOUGH (Alabama) -- Had no missed assignments, no sacks, no pressures and no penalties while earning top grade on Tide offensive line against Tennessee.
SAF TRAMAIN THOMAS (Arkansas) -- Led the Razorbacks with 11 tackles, including a half-tackle for loss and two pass deflections against Ole Miss.
DE JAKE BEQUETTE (Arkansas) -- Had six tackles with 1.5 for losses, including a sack, and a quarterback pressure against Ole Miss.
SAF NEIKO THORPE (Auburn) -- Had game-high 14 total tackles against LSU.
QB MORGAN NEWTON (Kentucky) -- Rushed for career-high 75 yards and a touchdown and completed 10-of-16 passes for 105 yards and two scores against Jacksonville State.
SAF MARTAVIUS NELOMS (Kentucky) -- Registered eight total tackles including a sack, a forced and recovered fumble and a pass deflection against Jacksonville State.
QB JARRETT LEE (LSU) -- Completed 14-of-20 passes for 165 yards and two touchdowns against Auburn.
CB RON BROOKS (LSU) -- Had four tackles, a forced fumble and returned an interception 28 yards for a touchdown against Auburn.
DB CHARLES SAWYER (Ole Miss) -- Totaled three pass break-ups, one QB pressure and a fumble recovery against Arkansas.
RB TAUREN POOLE (Tennessee) -- Rushed for 67 yards on 19 carries and had three catches for 10 yards against Alabama.
RB ZAC STACY (Vanderbilt) -- Rushed for career-high 198 yards on 21 carries and a career-high three touchdowns against Army.
LB CHRIS MARVE (Vanderbilt) -- Led team with 11 total tackles with a sack and forced fumble against Army.
2011 SEC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Week 1 (Games of Sept. 1-3): Offense - Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State; Defense - Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU; Special Teams - Joe Adams, WR/RS, Arkansas; Offensive Lineman - Rokevious Watkins, OT, South Carolina; Co-Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Luke McDermott, DT, Kentucky; Co-Freshman - Trey Depriest, LB, Alabama; Tre Mason, RB/RS, Auburn.
Week 2 (Games of Sept. 10): Offense - Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee; Defense - Mark Barron, SAF, Alabama; Special Teams - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Offensive Lineman - Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas; Defensive Lineman - Rob Lohr, DT, Vanderbilt; Co-Freshman - Josh Clemons, RB, Kentucky; Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 3 (Games of Sept. 15-17): Co-Offense - Chris Rainey, RB, Florida; Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina; Defense -Trey Wilson, DB, Vanderbilt; Special Teams - Caleb Sturgis, PK, Florida; Offensive Lineman - Wesley Johnson, C, Vanderbilt; Defensive Lineman - Bennie Logan, DT, LSU; Freshman- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU.
Week 4 (Games of Sept. 24): Offense - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama; Defense -Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Brad Wing, P, LSU; Offensive Lineman - Barrett Jones, OT, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Freshman- Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 5 (Games of Oct. 1): Co-Offense: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas; Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas; Defense - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Steven Clark, P, Auburn; Offensive Lineman - William Vlachos, C, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU; Freshman - Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia..
Week 6 (Games of Oct. 8): Offense: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina; Defense - Mike Gilliard, ILB, Georgia; Special Teams - Blair Walsh, PK, Georgia; Offensive Lineman - Will Blackwell, OG, LSU; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Freshman - Tevin Mitchel, CB, Arkansas.
Week 7 (Games of Oct. 15): Offense: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama; Co-Defense - Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn; D.J. Swearinger, FS, South Carolina; Special Teams - Steven Clark, P, Auburn; Offensive Lineman - Chris Faulk, OT, LSU; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Co-Freshman - Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina; Ray Drew, OLB, Georgia.
Week 8 (Games of Oct. 22): Offense: Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas; Defense - Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama; Special Teams - Brad Wing, P, LSU; Offensive Lineman - Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt; Defensive Lineman - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU; Freshman - A.J. Johnson, LB, Tennessee.