UNDATED, AR( KAIT) – According to Jonesboro Dispatch, heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths; almost half of home heating equipment fires are reported from December-February.
Below are some simple tips to keep in mind for your safety this winter:
- When buying a new space heater, make sure it carries the mark of an independent testing laboratory, and be sure to have fixed space heaters installed by a qualified technician, according to manufacturer's instructions or applicable codes. Make sure a qualified technician checks to see that the unit has been properly installed.
- Keep or maintain a 36-inch clearance between heating systems and anything that can burn.
- Test smoke alarms monthly; install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area.
- Never Use Your Gas Oven for Heating. Prolonged use of the open oven in a closed house burns oxygen, thereby causing improper combustion of gas, which creates a lethal carbon monoxide gas.
- Develop and practice a home escape plan.