JONESBORO (ASU) – Arkansas State senior Bailey Bunyan set a new ASU Indoor track and field record in the men's 5000 meter run as ASU won four events at the Kickoff Klassic at the Convocation Center on Friday.
Bunyan won the race with a time of 14:47.72, which broke the ASU men's indoor record of 14:49.83 set by Steve Wilson in 1981.
William Scott won the men's 55-meter dash with a time of 7.58, while William Oliver finished fifth (7.95) and Ethan Turpen finished sixth (8.01). Oliver also finished third in the men's long jump with a jump of 23-04.50, while Solomon Williams finished fifth (22-07.75).
In the women's mile run Chelsea Weaver finished second with a time of 5:12.16, followed by Tilda Helgesson in third (5:19.55).
Rexi Parcells added a first place finish for the Red Wolves by winning the women's 5000 meter run with a time of 18:28.93, while Jamie Curry won the women's triple jump with a jump of 38-09.00. Jasmine Marks finished in fourth in the triple jump with a jump of 36-11.75.
"I thought we did a great job top to bottom," ASU head coach Jim Patchell said. "Almost everybody improved over what they did last year at this time. The hard work that we went through this fall really paid off and this gives us a lot of momentum heading into track season."
The Arkansas State men's 4x400 meter relay team (Charl Stander, Greg Phillips, Devin Noel and Solomon Williams) finished third with a time of 3:26.03.
Sharika Nelvis, who ran unattached, tied the ASU Kickoff Klassic and Convocation Center record with a 6.87 in the women's 55-meter dash. She also set a Kickoff Klassic record in the 55-meter hurdles with a time a 7.88. Nelvis also won the women's 200 meter dash with a time of 24.61.
Other A-State athletes posting top-8 finishes in Saturday's action were:
- In the men's weight throw, Richard Chavez finished sixth (54-02.75).
- In the men's weight throw, Chris Nicasio finished eighth (51-02.75).
- In the men's high jump William Oliver finished fourth (6-04.00).
- In the men's mile run Zak Bowling finished sixth (4:44.91).
- In the men's mile run Tyler Davis finished eighth (4:58.68).
- In the men's pole vault Ethan Sandusky finished eighth (15-06.00).
- In the men's triple jump Solomn Williams finished third (45-01.75).
- In the men's shot put Richard Chavez finished fifth (51-02.25).
- In the women's high jump Lakeitha Minter finished fourth (5-04.25)
- In the women's weight throw Julia Agawu finished fifth (51-07.00).
- In the women's long jump Jamie Curry finished fourth (17-08.25).
- In the women's long jump Jasmine Marks finished fifth (17-07.00).
- In the women's long jump Kanesha Hicks finished seventh (17-05.50).
- In the women's shot put Julia Agawu finished fourth (43-11.75).
- In the women's pole vault Stephanie Forman finished second (12-05.50).
- In the women's 55 meter dash Andrew Corter finished seventh (6.51).
- In the women's 55 meter hurdles Kanesha Hicks finished fourth (8.38).
- In the women's 400 meter dash Allyson Perry finished fourth (59.39).
- In the women's 400 meter dash Kelsey Bean finished fifth (1:00.15).
- In the women's 800 meter run Heather Newberry finished eighth (2:23.00)
- In the women's 3000 meter run Samantha Salina finished third (10:26.19).