Shanghai restaurant fire extinguished, investigation continues - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Shanghai restaurant fire extinguished, investigation continues

BATESVILLE, AR (KAIT) – After the smoke from the Shanghai restaurant in Batesville subsides, Fire Chief Brent Gleghorn says grease trapped in the building's ventilation system is the likely culprit for the fire.

According to Glegorn, a passerby saw the smoke rising from on 3050 Harrison St. and immediately called, but by the time, responders arrived, the building's sprinkler system had mostly extinguished any flames.

Fire crews say all of the patrons were evacuated from the building in time, and no injuries have been reported.

Gleghorn says little structural damage occurred, and most was only smoke and water damage. The incident is still under investigation.

A representative with the state health system is currently on the way to Batesville to begin inspecting the building, which is common for restaurant fires says Gleghorn.

The fire chief also added that all firefighter equipment will have to be decontaminated because of the grease associated with responding to emergency calls like these.

Region 8 News will bring you more updates as soon as they are available on www.kait8.com and on region8togo.com.

Copyright 2011 KAIT. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly