JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -- A Region 8 family is in mourning following the accidental death of their 7-month-old baby.
According to the Jonesboro Police Department, a 20-year-old man called 911 at 10:30 Wednesday morning to report he had rolled over on his baby while he was sleeping and the child was not breathing.
The man reportedly told officers he removed the baby from its crib at 9 o'clock and put her in the bed with him, then went back to sleep.
When he woke up an hour later, the baby was on its stomach and not breathing.
After calling 911 he began CPR.
When emergency responders arrived they reported the child "appeared gray in color and was limp in the father's arms."
The firefighters began resuscitative efforts and took the baby by ambulance to St. Bernards Regional Medical Center where Emergency Room doctors and nurses attempted to revive the baby.
After working for nearly an hour to resuscitate the baby, the doctor pronounced her dead at 11:10 a.m.
According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report released on Monday, the number of infant deaths from suffocation is up 54% from 2000 to 2009.
Almost 1,000 babies died in 2009, according to the CDC. Many of them were sleeping with their parents.
To prevent your baby from suffocation, the CDC offers these prevention tips:
Create a safe sleeping environment. Place infants on their backs on a firm surface every time they are laid down for sleep. The safest place for infants to sleep is in a crib or bassinet—not in the same bed as parents. Keep soft objects like stuffed animals, blankets, and loose bedding out of cribs. Do not put objects such as mobiles above cribs.
Stay safe during meal and play time. Cut or break age-appropriate food into small bite-size pieces. Always supervise infants or young children during mealtime. Encourage children to chew their food thoroughly and to swallow it before talking or laughing. Also, children should not eat while playing or running. Read the age recommendations and choking hazard labels on toy packaging to determine suitable toys for children.
Learn basic first aid and CPR. Knowing how to safely remove food and small objects from the airway and how to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) can save a child's life. Learn basic first aid and CPR and get recertified every 2 years.