Two Bootheel Men Electrocuted While Working in Attic

MAY 24, 2004 - Posted at 10:24 a.m. CDT

DEXTER, MO - Electrocution is being blamed for the deaths of two men inside a home in the Missouri Bootheel town of Dexter.

It happened Friday.  Police say 31-year-old Billy Walpole called 911 to say a contractor had apparently touched a hot wire in Walpole's attic.

When emergency workers responded, they found 28-year-old contractor Hubert Dale Hudgens, Jr. and Walpole dead.

Authorities say Hudgens had apparently touched the wire.  After calling 911, Walpole tried to remove Hudgens from the wire, killing himself as well.

Dexter firefighters had to cut a large hole in the roof to remove the bodies.  Afternoon heat was intense inside the attic, causing a paramedic to be treated for heat exhaustion.  He was not seriously injured.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)