COPY-No batteries in smoke detectors in fatal Mo. fire - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

COPY-No batteries in smoke detectors in fatal Mo. fire

CAMERON, Mo. (AP) - Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in a northwest Missouri home where a father and his two young children died earlier this month.

The Kansas City Star (http://bit.ly/PNtyfA ) reports investigators found smoke detectors in the kitchen, dining room and a bedroom at the home in Cameron, but none of them had batteries.

Police were called to the home on Aug. 17 and found the bodies of 36-year-old Robert Borchardt, 9-year-old Chelsey Borchardt and 7-year-old Tucker Borchardt were found.

Emergency responders found no fire at the home, but there was a smoke-like odor suggesting there had been a fire.

Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen area. Police say all evidence points to an accidental fire.

Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly