ASU bomb threat suspect acquitted because of mental defect - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

ASU bomb threat suspect acquitted because of mental defect

Posted: Updated:
Carlan Walker (Source: Craighead County Sheriff's Office) Carlan Walker (Source: Craighead County Sheriff's Office)
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Original victim files suit against OBGYN

    Original victim files suit against OBGYN

    Friday, April 18 2014 12:00 AM EDT2014-04-18 04:00:19 GMT
    PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) - The Paragould OB/GYN accused of taking nude photos of some of his patients had his first court appearance Thursday. He was arrested Wednesday night at a Newport hotel. Dr. Paul
    The patient that brought all of this to the forefront has now filed civil suit against the doctor and explained in detail what Becton allegedly did to her during that exam that she said led up to him taking nude photos of her.
  • NEW: Malpractice suits dismissed against arrested doctor

    NEW: Malpractice suits dismissed against arrested doctor

    Friday, April 18 2014 2:18 PM EDT2014-04-18 18:18:42 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR  (KAIT) – A Paragould doctor accused of taking nude photographs of at least one patient is due in court again on May 30, but more information is coming to light after his arrest. Dr. Paul
    A Paragould doctor accused of taking nude photographs of at least one patient is due in court again on May 30, but more information is coming to light after his arrest.
  • Fire burns vacant home in SW Jonesboro

    Fire burns vacant home in SW Jonesboro

    Friday, April 18 2014 12:34 PM EDT2014-04-18 16:34:25 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – A portion of Southwest Drive is closed this morning as crews are work on a house fire. According to Jonesboro dispatch the home is vacant. Southwest Drive has been closed from
    Southwest Drive was closed during the morning rush Friday after crews battled a house fire.

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT & AP) – The 44-year-old Jonesboro man accused of creating a bomb scare at Arkansas State University in Jonesboro was acquitted Monday in court by mental defect.

According to the Craighead County Prosecutor's Office a judge acquitted Carlan Neugene Walker because of a mental defect.

Walker was charged with a felony count of communicating a false alarm, and a felony count of breaking or entering, a felony count of criminal intent theft of property and a misdemeanor count of criminal trespassing.

On September 18, the university evacuated a dormitory, the International Student Center and surrounding parking lots after Walker claimed there were bombs inside University Hall and in a vehicle nearby.

Police and fire investigators conducted a sweep of the building with a bomb-detecting dog from Crittenden County, luckily finding nothing suspicious.

According to a probable cause affidavit, university police went to the parking lot behind University Hall around 3 p.m. after Walker was found inside someone's truck.

The affidavit states that the truck's driver initially detained Walker, who said that "he was a sergeant and there were 43 bombs in his truck." Walker reportedly told the owner that "he was there to diffuse the bombs and ‘that there were bombs in that building' and gestured to University Hall."

The affidavit also states that while inspecting the victim's truck, officers noticed the area above the gauges on the dashboard had been torn out in what appeared to be an attempt to steal the vehicle, while also finding "numerous cigarette butts and other trash strewn about the truck."

While being transported to the Craighead County Detention Center, Walker reportedly told police that there were bombs in the aforementioned truck.

Police and court records show officers arrested 44-year-old Carlan Neugene Walker of Jonesboro on a drunk, insane or disorderly charge on Sunday September 16, days before he allegedly made a bomb threat.

Randy Martin, the ASU police chief, says the incident came after several other colleges investigated bomb threats on their campuses – the latest at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.

Those instances, however, are unrelated to the one that occurred at ASU.

"We feel like we're always prepared," Chief Martin said, "but in light of those situations that have occurred over the past week or two, we've been using our roll call and shift briefings as opportunities to review our policies and procedures on bomb threats."

Martin says the preparation paid off after a two-hour search turned up no explosives.

He says the serious charges that Walker now faces should send a strong message to anyone thinking of making similar threats.

News Director's Note:  We typically do not report threats unless there is an actual threat, an arrest is made, or it is a habitual problem that disrupts the educational process.  Often times reporting school threats leads to copycats and creates a bigger classroom distraction.  We hope you understand.  

Copyright 2012 KAIT. All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.