From the Southeastern Conference
SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (Games of Sept. 29)
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
6-1 • 200 • Fr. • Kerrville, Texas
• Manziel set an SEC and Texas A&M record with 557 total offensive yards in the Aggies' 58-10 win against Arkansas.
• He accounted for a school record 453 passing yards on 29-of-38 passing with three TDs and no interceptions, and also rushed for 104 yards on 14 carries and a touchdown.
• Manziel's total offense and passing yardage total is the most by a freshman in FBS this season.
• Manziel threw to 12 different Aggie receivers against the Razorbacks.
• Through the first four games (all starts) of his career this season, Manziel has attempted 124 passes without an interception.
SEC Co-DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
6-2 • 216 • Sr. • Augusta, Ga.
• Commings tallied five tackles (four solos) and had a pair of interceptions in the final six minutes of the game to help Georgia defeat Tennessee, 51-44. His first pick was near midfield at the six-minute mark and his second preserved the UGA win with seven seconds left in the game.
5-11 • 203 • Fr. • Loganville, Ga.
• Nkemdiche had 11 tackles, three for losses including a sack, two forced fumbles in Ole Miss' 33-14 loss at Alabama. The Rebel defense limited the Crimson Tide to season lows in points and yards.
SEC Co-SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Return Specialist / Wide Receiver
5-11 • 185 • So. • Adamsville, Ala.
• Jones returned a kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown in Alabama's 33-14 win over Ole Miss. The TD is the eighth longst return in school history and gave the Tide a 13-7 2nd-quarter lead. For the game, Jones had 161 all-purpose yards, 142 on kickoff returns and 19 receiving yards on two catches.
Return Specialist / Tailback
5-9 • 185 • So. • DeSoto, Texas
• Murphy returned a punt 66 yards for a touchdown in Missouri's 21-16 win at Central Florida. The TD put the Tigers ahead 14-10 midway through third quarter. For the game, he had three punt returns for 70 yards and a 33-yard kickoff return.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-5 • 305 • Jr. • Missouri City, Texas
• Matthews helped keep quarterback Johnny Manziel sack-free against Arkansas, allowing the freshman signal-caller to break SEC and school records in Texas A&M's 58-10 win.
• Matthews was part of an offense that gained 716 total yards; 498 through the air and 218 on the ground.
• Only two of Texas A&M's 79 offensive plays were for lost yardage for minus 3 yards.
• Matthews was not flagged and graded out the best of the Texas A&M offensive linemen against Arkansas.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-6 • 256 • So. • Rock Hill, S.C.
• Clowney was credited with four tackles, including 2.5 for losses with a sack, in South Carolina's 38-17 win at Kentucky.
• Carolina limited Kentucky to just 70 yards in the second half after yielding 173 in the first half.
• Clowney's sack came on a 3rd down play forcing the Wildcats to punt.
• Kentucky had seven second-half possessions with four ending in punts, two in interceptions and one when the clock ran out at the end of the game.
SEC FOOTBALL TRI-FRESHMEN OF THE WEEK
6-1 • 218 • Tarboro, N.C.
• Gurley rushed for 130 yards and 3 TDs including a 51-yard run in Georgia's 51-44 win over Tennessee.
5-11 • 216 • Raleigh, N.C.
• Marshall rushed for 164 yards on 10 carries and 2 TDs and also caught a 15-yard pass in Georgia's 51-44 win over Tennessee.
6-1 • 200 • Fr. • Kerrville, Texas
• See above for information on Manziel's efforts vs. Arkansas.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 5
CB AMARI COOPER (Alabama) -- Freshman led the Tide with eight catches for 84 yards and two touchdowns against Ole Miss.
CB DEE MILLINER (Alabama) -- Recorded four interceptions with an interception, four pass deflections and a half-sack against Ole Miss.
RB KNILE DAVIS (Arkansas) -- Rushed for team-high 65 yards on 18 carries and also caught a 64-yard touchdown pass against Texas A&M.
LB ALVIN DUPREE (Kentucky) -- Logged nine tackles, including 1.5 sacks (-10 yards), against South Carolina.
WR ODELL BECKHAM, JR. (LSU) -- Caught five passes for 128 yards and two touchdowns against Towson.
CB E.J. GAINES (Missouri) -- Had career-best 13 tackles against Central Florida. In fourth quarter, had two tackles for loss and a forced fumble.
DT SHELDON RICHARDSON (Missouri) -- Registered nine tackles, two for losses including a sack, and a QB pressure against Central Florida.
TB MARCUS LATTIMORE (South Carolina) -- Rushed for 120 yards on 23 carries and two touchdowns against Kentucky.
SPUR DeVONTE HOLLOMAN (South Carolina) -- Had six tackles (all solos) with two for losses, incluidng a sack, against Kentucky.
RB RAJION NEAL (Tennessee) -- Rushed for 107 yards on 23 carries and a touchdown while catching 5 passes for 53 yards and a touchdown against Georgia.
DB BYRON MOORE (Tennessee) -- Returned an interception for a touchdown and had six total tackles against Georgia.