Middle school student suspended for videotaping school fight - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Middle school student suspended for videotaping school fight

Posted: Updated:
Jason Bigby and his father, Samuel Dover Jason Bigby and his father, Samuel Dover
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Prostitution sting results in 12 arrests

    Prostitution sting results in 12 arrests

    Friday, July 25 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-07-25 19:19:10 GMT
    (WMC) – A prostitution sting was conducted at a Southaven hotel Thursday. As a result, the following 12 people were arrested: Preston K. Mitchell, 52, Memphis, Tenn., charged with procuring prostitution
    A prostitution sting was conducted at a Southaven hotel Thursday. Twelve people were arrested.
  • VIRAL VIDEO: Kitten fights ceramic cat

    VIRAL VIDEO: Kitten fights ceramic cat

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:20 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:20:00 GMT
    It seems like every time you check YouTube, you see a new viral cat video. This time the video features an adorable kitten trying to attack a ceramic cat stature. This kitten has moves you would expect
    It seems like every time you check YouTube, you see a new viral cat video. This time the video features an adorable kitten trying to attack a ceramic cat statue.
  • Nettleton alumni say goodbye to old high school

    Nettleton alumni say goodbye to old high school

    Saturday, July 26 2014 10:00 PM EDT2014-07-27 02:00:13 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Alumni from Nettleton High School walked the halls of the Annex building Saturday one last time. The Nettleton High School Annex Building has been there for nearly 63 years but it hasn't always been the Annex. From 1951 to 1968 the building was the Nettleton High School people like Danny Honnoll remember. “I can walk in the hallways and in my mind remember the old class pictures on the wall. I remember what teacher was in which room and the classes I took. It will be a ...
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Alumni from Nettleton High School walked the halls of the Annex building Saturday one last time. The Nettleton High School Annex Building has been there for nearly 63 years but it hasn't always been the Annex. From 1951 to 1968 the building was the Nettleton High School people like Danny Honnoll remember. “I can walk in the hallways and in my mind remember the old class pictures on the wall. I remember what teacher was in which room and the classes I took. It will be a ...
ROCKDALE COUNTY, GA (CBS46) -

An eighth grade Rockdale County student and his father turned to CBS Atlanta News on Monday after they believed they were mistreated by the school district.

"I really feel like we have been violated. I really feel that way," said Samuel Dover.

Dover believes his 14-year-old son, Jason Bigby, was treated unfairly by faculty at Conyers Middle School following an incident which occurred on a school bus last week.

"They've really gone overboard," Dover said.

Dover said his son received five days of in-school suspension for videotaping a fight on the school bus with his cell phone, a fight Jason said he wasn't even involved in.

"I was very shocked," Jason said.

Jason said the fight was between two girls and no one else. Still he received a discipline report and was told that he violated school policy for photographing the incident. As a result, Jason said faculty confiscated his phone and told him he would have to sign the discipline report and delete the video to get the phone back. Needless to say, Jason was without a cell phone for days.

"Say if I go to basketball practice tomorrow and I feel dehydrated and about to pass out after practice, I don't have a phone to contact my parents or if I stay after school for tutoring, I can't call them to let them know to come and pick me up," Jason said.

CBS Atlanta News contacted the school district, and within minutes the principal of Conyers Middle School contacted Jason's father, asked to meet with him and then returned the call.

"I think it's wrong and as a matter of fact, I think it was inappropriate and I think it's just an abuse of power and authority," Dover said.

Dover said his son got his phone back after CBS Atlanta News started questioning the school district.

The principal also signed a form stating that the incident would be removed from Jason's disciplinary record. That said, the school district said that videotaping a fight in order to share it with others is damaging to the school climate and may encourage others to do the same thing.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.