From the Southeastern Conference
OUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (Games of Oct. 6, 2012)
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
5-11 • 201 • Sr. • Deland, Fla.
• Gillislee rushed for 146 yards on 34 carries and two touchdowns in Florida's 14-6 win over LSU.
• Both of his touchdowns came in the second half to help the Gators overcome a 6-0 halftime deficit. Gillislee rushed for 52 yards in the fourth quarter.
• His 146 yards was the most against LSU since Arkansas' Knile Davis ran for 152 yards on Nov. 27, 2010.
• His 34 carries is tied for the third most in school history.
• Gillislee is currently the SEC's leading rusher and has had three 100+ yardage games this season.
SEC Co-DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
5-10 • 210 • Jr. • Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
• Elam's forced fumble late in the fourth quarter against LSU changed the momentum of the game and helped Florida to a 14-6 win over LSU. He also tallied a team-high seven solo tackles with one for a two-yard loss. The Gator defense held LSU to 33 consecutive snaps without a first down.
6-2 • 245 • Jr. • Suwanee, Ga.
• Minter tallied 20 total tackles including a school-record 17 solo stops in the Tigers' 14-6 loss at Florida. He had three tackles for loss (-17 yards), including two sacks (-16 yards) and a forced fumble. The 20 total tackles is an SEC-best this season.
SEC Co-SPECIAL TEAM PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Return Specialist / Wide Receiver
5-8 • 175 • Jr. • Bradenton, Fla.
• Sanders returned a punt 70 yards for a touchdown that gave South Carolina an insurmountable 21-0 advantage en route to a 35-7 win over Georgia. It was Sanders' second career punt return for a touchdown.
6-2 • 198 • Sr. • Marietta, Ga.
• Kent averaged 45.2 yards on six punts with two inside the Missouri-20 yard line in Vanderbilt's 19-15 win at Missouri. Facing a Tiger squad that had returned three punts for TDs already this season, Kent enjoyed a net average of 44.9 yards, allowing just one return for three yards by the Tigers.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-6 • 319 • Sr. • Aynor, S.C.
• Johnson graded out at 86 percent against Georgia with seven knockdowns and no quarterback pressures in South Carolina's 35-7 win against Georgia.
• The Gamecocks amassed 230 yards rushing and 162 yards passing against the Bulldogs.
• Carolina had just four loss yardage plays (-13 yards) on 61 snaps against Georgia including one sack (-9 yards).
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-4 • 243 • So. • Huntsville, Ala.
• Flowers registered 3.5 tackles for loss (all sacks), two quarterback pressures and five tackles (all career highs) in Arkansas' 24-7 win at Auburn.
• His sack total is the highest single-game total in the SEC this season and tied for fourth in NCAA FBS this season.
• Arkansas finished the game with eight sacks, tied for the single-game high this season in the SEC and second highest in NCAA FBS this season.
• The Razorbacks forced five turnovers, most for the Hogs since 2007, and allowed just 40 yards rushing, lowest total allowed by an SEC defense in a conference game this season.
SEC Co-FRESHMEN OF THE WEEK
6-5 • 235 • Tunica, Miss.
• McKinney posted a career-best 12 total tackles with 10 solo stops in Mississippi State's 27-14 win at Kentucky. He also tallied a tackle for loss and two pass deflections. He helped a Bulldog defense that held nine of 12 Kentucky possessions to 20-yards-or-less and forced five 3-and-outs.
6-1 • 200 • Kerrville, Texas
• Manziel rushed for 129 yards on 20 carries and a touchdown while completing 17-of-26 passes for 191 yards with another score and 2 INTs in Texas A&M's 30-27 win at Ole Miss. Manziel engineered two scoring drives in final half of 4th quarter to put the Aggies in the win column.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 6
P DYLAN BREEDING (Arkansas) -- Averaged career-high 51.0 yards on five punts against Auburn.
WR EMORY BLAKE (Auburn) -- Caught 10 passes for 118 yards and a touchdown against Arkansas.
OT XAVIER NIXON (Florida) -- Anchored Gator offensive line that ran the ball last 25 plays of game while UF converted 7-of-14 third downs in game.
NT JOHN JENKINS (Georgia) -- Had career-high eight tackles and blocked a field goal against South Carolina.
LB AVERY WILLIAMSON (Kentucky) -- Had game-high 13 total tackles with a fumble recovery and QB pressure against Mississippi State.
SAF CODY PREWITT (Ole Miss) -- Had six total tackles, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and interception against Texas A&M.
QB TYLER RUSSELL (Mississippi State) -- Completed 23-of-39 passes for 269 yards and two touchdowns against Kentucky.
RB KENDIAL LAWRENCE (Missouri) -- Rushed for game-high 92 yards on 21 carries against Vanderbilt.
TB MARCUS LATTIMORE (South Carolina) -- Carried the pigskin 24 times for 109 yads and a touchdown against Georgia.
LB SEAN PORTER (Texas A&M) -- Had eight tackles (six solos) and a QB pressure against Ole Miss.