From Harding University
The Great American Conference has announced the league's Offensive, Defensive
and Special Teams Players of the Week for the sixth week of the season. In
Henderson State's dominating win against Arkansas-Monticello, Kevin Rodgers
threw for five touchdowns while Maxie Graham made 15 tackles and picked off two
passes. Harding's Ty Powell blocked a pair of kicks
to earn the Bisons' second straight Special Teams Player of the Week
GAC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Kevin Rodgers, Henderson State, QB, SO, Rockwall, Texas.
After a slow start completing just one of his first five passes, Rodgers completed 18 straight as he led Henderson to a 71-0 win over Arkansas-Monticello. Rodgers played 2 1/2 quarters and ended the day completing 23-of-30 passes for 328 yards and five touchdowns. It is the fourth game Rodgers has eclipsed the 300-yard mark this year. After his five TD passes, he continues to lead all divisions with 28 TD passes this year. Rodgers has thrown 149 passes without an interception.
GAC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Maxie Graham, Henderson State, LB, SR, Jackson, Miss.
Maxie Graham led a Reddie defense that recorded its first shutout since Oct. 2, 2010 when Henderson blanked UAM 47-0.
Graham had two interceptions as the Reddies forced a season-high six turnovers. The senior from Jackson, Miss. also had a season-best 15 tackles and a tackle for lost yardage. UAM totaled just 254 yards of offense
GAC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Ty Powell, Harding, DE, SR, Marina, Calif.
Powell blocked an extra point on Southern Arkansas' second touchdown that was returned by Roderick Cohn for two points. He later blocked a punt that was returned by Tramaine Wilkes 48 yards for a touchdown. He became the first Harding player ever with two blocked kicks in the same game as the Bisons improved to 5-0 for the first time since 2002.
- Ladarius Abrams, RB, FR, Southeastern Oklahoma State (Gained 176 yards on only 18 carries, a season best total for SE)
- Spencer Bond, QB, FR, East Central (Completed 19-of-28 passing for 226 yards and three TDs; added a rushing TD)
- Tanner Marsh, QB, SR, Arkansas Tech (Threw for 213 yards and two TDs; ran for 69 yards and another score in 45-38 win)
- Ty Towers, QB, SO, Ouachita Baptist (Went 15-for-18 passing for 154 yards with three TD passes; rushed for 60 yards)
- Etauj Allen, DB, JR, Ouachita Baptist (Made five pass break ups and eight tackles in shutting out SWOSU in the second half)
- Jordan Cantrell, LB, FR, Harding (Totaled 10 tackles, 1.0 for loss – the 10 tackles were the most by a Harding player this year)
- Amos Cherry, LB, SR, East Central (Notched eight total tackles and a fumble recovery in opponent territory)
- Michael Waldon, DB, JR, Arkansas Tech (27-yard INT return; two pass break-ups negated possible scores; Made eight tackles)
- Brian Gonzalez, K/P, SR, East Central (Averaged 44.8 yards/punt with long of 58; made two field goals; 5-for-5 on PATs)
- Trevor Pinkston, K/P, SO, Arkansas Tech (Made two field goals, went 3-for-3 on PATs and averaged 38.8 on four punts)