Woman goes to vote, house burns down - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Woman goes to vote, house burns down

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A Baton Rouge woman received some horrible news just as she cast her ballot Tuesday afternoon.

"My husband called me and screamed at me the house is on fire," said Marye Blank. "I was in the voting booth. Of course, all I did was get here as fast as I could."

Blank arrived to find her home engulfed in smoke and flames. It took firefighters about an hour to stop the blaze and another hour to hose down those hot spots. The house is a total loss.

"I feel very sorry for the people because I've been through this and I know how devastating it is," said Iris Hartzog, who lives nearby. "It breaks my heart and I just pray for that family."

No one was injured from the fire. However, Blanks said two of their dogs escaped with minor injuries and her third dog died. But, she added they will make it through this tragedy.

"We'll get by. We've got a big family...plenty of neighbors here. Hey, it's replaceable," Blank explained.

Investigators have not yet determined the cause of the fire.

Copyright 2012 WAFB. All rights reserved.

ASP Foundation fundraising for new driving track

Thursday, August 17 2017 11:23 AM EDT2017-08-17 15:23:08 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 1:02 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:02:03 GMT

First National Bank hosted the first Arkansas State Police Foundation Golf Tournament.

Men need to be screened for prostate cancer

Thursday, August 17 2017 11:21 AM EDT2017-08-17 15:21:49 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 12:48 PM EDT2017-08-17 16:48:05 GMT
    (Source: KSWO)(Source: KSWO)

Prostate cancer is commonly found among men and the American Cancer Society wants to encourage men to get yearly screenings.

State board turns down agriculture school request, supporter says

Thursday, August 10 2017 4:14 PM EDT2017-08-10 20:14:09 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 6:39 AM EDT2017-08-17 10:39:07 GMT

A plan to open an agricultural charter school in Weiner was denied Wednesday, a supporter of the project said.