Tucson shooting survivor will address Loughner at his sentencing - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Tucson shooting survivor will address Loughner at his sentencing

Jared Loughner Jared Loughner
Tucson shooting survivor Mavy Stoddard speaks with CBS 5 News. Tucson shooting survivor Mavy Stoddard speaks with CBS 5 News.
TUCSON, AZ (CBS5) -

The shooting survivors and their families have mixed emotions about Jared Loughner's sentencing. They're said they're happy to have closure, but feel anxious to come face to face with the man who hurt so many.

"It rather got to me this morning while I was sitting there," Mavy Stoddard said.

Stoddard said she was almost able to forget what's happening in court Thursday, until it crept up on her Wednesday morning. She'll  stand right in front of the man who murdered her husband and shot her in the leg Thursday in court.

Dorwan "Dory" Stoddard died protecting his grade-school sweetheart. He dove on top of Mavy, shielding her body and taking the bullets with his.

"With Dory and Jesus holding my hand I will get through it. Hopefully without tears," Mavy Stoddard said.

She decided she has to be one of the ones to speak directly to Loughner at his sentencing, in honor of Dory.

"I feel I owe it to Dory to do this, to express how I feel. Because he took my life," she said.

So Mavy Stoddard will stand up in court and read a statement meant for the man who killed the love of her life.

"It's short, to the point. And if he doesn't look at me I'm going to tell him to," Mavy Stoddard said.

She's a strong woman who's survived so much and come so far in the last couple of years.

"I don't hate him. I hate the act he did. It ruined everyone's life, including his own. In 20 seconds," she said.

Mavy Stoddard said Thursday's sentencing closes a chapter she hopes to never open again.

"It'll be out of my hands. There will be no trial, no two or three years, no wondering if I'm going to have to be on the stand. This man is behind bars. He'll stay behind bars. No one can get him out for any reason," she said.

Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Man arrested after search warrant yields pistols and pot

Wednesday, July 26 2017 4:36 PM EDT2017-07-26 20:36:07 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 6:24 PM EDT2017-07-26 22:24:23 GMT
    Devontae Dewayne Fowler (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)Devontae Dewayne Fowler (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)

Jonesboro police arrested a man after they say they found pistols and pot during a search of his home.

Second suspect in couple's beating arrested

Wednesday, July 26 2017 4:51 PM EDT2017-07-26 20:51:39 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 6:22 PM EDT2017-07-26 22:22:30 GMT
    Chase Nathanual Harris (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)Chase Nathanual Harris (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)

A judge found probable cause Wednesday to charge a 19-year-old Bono man with second-degree battery for his part in an assault earlier this month.

JPD: Man on ICE hold after breaking into woman's apartment

Wednesday, July 26 2017 3:12 PM EDT2017-07-26 19:12:44 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 6:20 PM EDT2017-07-26 22:20:38 GMT
    Hugo Adiel Rodriguez (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)Hugo Adiel Rodriguez (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)

A man accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment is being held on ICE, literally.