Keeping your family safe from carbon monoxide during the holiday - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Keeping your family safe from carbon monoxide during the holidays

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 4 teens hospitalized following crash

    4 teens hospitalized following crash

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:12 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:12:51 GMT
    Four Region 8 teenagers were hospitalized Monday afternoon after their SUV slammed into a tree.
    Four Region 8 teenagers were hospitalized Monday afternoon after their SUV slammed into a tree.

  • Oops! Wrong number: scam artist dials sheriff's deputy

    Oops! Wrong number: scam artist dials sheriff's deputy

    Monday, September 15 2014 12:39 PM EDT2014-09-15 16:39:50 GMT
    The man on the other end of the line claimed he was a Publishers Clearing House representative and that Dustin Norwood had won $2.5 million dollars and a 2015 Mercedes Benz C Class automobile. What the caller did not know is Norwood is a deputy with the Craighead County Sheriff's Office.
    The man on the other end of the line claimed he was a Publishers Clearing House representative and that Dustin Norwood had won $2.5 million dollars and a 2015 Mercedes Benz C Class automobile. What the caller did not know is Norwood is a deputy with the Craighead County Sheriff's Office.
  • Player fakes death during fake punt, fakes no one

    Player fakes death during fake punt, fakes no one

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-09-16 16:17:48 GMT

    Arkansas State snapped the ball for what looked like a punt from their opponent's 40-yard line, and receiver Booker Mays clutched his hands to his chest and toppled backward to the turf.

    Arkansas State snapped the ball for what looked like a punt from their opponent's 40-yard line, and receiver Booker Mays clutched his hands to his chest and toppled backward to the turf.

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Jonesboro Fire Department responded to two carbon monoxide incidents at separate locations this weekend.

The Fire Department suggests that you have all appliances looked at ever so often to ensure your safety.

"If you have gas or anything else that you heat with be sure that you have those appliances checked and serviced by a qualified technician," said Captain, Shawn Nance.

Carbon monoxide gives no indicators that it's in your home, so it's important to react to symptoms that may show signs that you could be breathing the deadly gas.

"Carbon monoxide usually carries a lot of flu like symptoms minus the fever the thing that most people notice first is headaches and dizziness," explained Nance.

Some people make the mistake by starting their car to get the heat going without opening their garage door first.

"A car sitting in the garage running will fill the house with carbon monoxide," said Nance.

A carbon monoxide detector works just like a fire detector and if working properly, it can make all the difference.

"They've come a long way in the last few years so you don't get as many false alarms as they used to but they will go off at a lower level and that's what you want," said Nance.

Copyright 2012 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.